Your Tenancy

Rent Arrears

Arrears is the term we use for money you have failed to pay us. Paying a small amount off your arrears each week is better than paying nothing at all.

What if I have difficulties paying my rent?

If you have any difficulties paying your rent it is very important that you let the Council know, as soon as possible, by contacting the rent recovery section on 01437 775559, 775562, or 775557. It is always best to admit that you are having problems paying your rent rather than waiting. This could avoid any unnecessary court costs and you ending up owing the Council lots of money.

We can help you by:

  • Offering expert help on Housing and Council Tax Benefits through our Housing Benefit department
  • Putting you in touch with a revenue assistant who can advise you on the best way of repaying any rent arrears
  • Entering into an agreement with you to pay off your arrears gradually if you can’t afford to pay it back straight away. It is very important you keep to the agreement you have made and contact the Council if you are having difficulties keeping to a repayment agreement
  • Directing you to other agencies that can provide you with specialist money or benefits advice

What should I do if I fall into rent arrears?

  • Read carefully any letters that you receive from the Council. These letters will explain what you need to do and what your legal rights are
  • Please don’t just ignore these letters, the problem won’t go away!
  • Keep in touch with us. We want to help you keep your home and pay back your arrears. We can offer help, advice and re-payment agreements

Customer Contact Centre
Pembrokeshire County Council
County Hall
SA61 1TP

Tel: 01437 764551

ID: 1681, revised 13/09/2022