Your Tenancy

Noise and Neighbour Nuisance

Your Occupation Contract states that contract holders of the Council, or their visitors or family members, must not behave in a way which could cause a nuisance to another person.

Nuisance and annoyance includes noise or other disturbances, threats or harassment, using or threatening violence, making malicious complaints, irresponsible disposal of rubbish, or damage to property.

Talk to your neighbour

When people live close together, they often do not realise they are disturbing others. The first step to take is to explain to them politely that they are causing you a problem. Please only do this if you feel that it is safe to do so.

Neighbour nuisance log sheet

This log sheet allows you to record all incidents of neighbour nuisance. The information recorded may be used by the Council as part of formal proceedings against the person causing the problem. Please follow these guidelines when filling in the log sheet:

  • Please identify the dates and times of each incident as accurately as you can.
  • Provide as much detail about each incident as possible, such as the background to events, abusive or threatening remarks made, the distance from which noise could be heard.
  • Please try to identify the persons causing the problem by giving names or addresses of perpetrators.
  • If the problem is an ongoing one, please return sheets on a regular basis.
  • Please attach and label any supporting evidence, such as photographs.
  • Please only record what you have seen or heard yourself, not what you have heard from other people.
  • Where possible provide details of any other witnesses.
  • If you are uncertain about completing this log, telephone the Housing Section, and ask to speak to a Housing Officer in the Tenancy Management Team.

Information given will not be shown to the persons causing the problems.

If you are experiencing noisy neighbours - The Noise App.

If you have access to a smart phone or tablet we would recommend you download the ‘the noise app’ which would enable you to record the noise and send it to us automatically, this gives us a better understanding of the problems you are experiencing and it enables us take action more quickly.   – Search for ‘The Noise App RHE’ on your mobile phone app store to download the app. Or click on the link below for more info:

The Noise App (opens in a new tab)

Talk to us

If the problem persists, contact the Council. A complaint or report of nuisance or anti-social behaviour should be made in the first instance to the Tenancy Management Team. This can be done:

By telephone: 01437 764551

By e-mail:

By writing to the Council

Action the Council can take

The Council uses a multi-agency approach, involving the police, Environmental Health and other partnership agencies. The agencies have a range of remedies to try to resolve problems such as:

  • Discussing the matter with the person causing the issue
  • Warning letters to the contract holder
  • Formal interviews
  • Use of acceptable behaviour contracts, and other remedies.
  • Service of formal Notices or appropriate legal action.

When will the Council not become involved:

  • If after its investigations, there is no person clearly identifiable as causing the problem
  • If the complaint is motivated by intolerance of different lifestyles and cultures
  • In disputes between children. It is expected that parents resolve these matters
  • In incidents where there is low level domestic noise, caused by normal day to day living, that is not deliberate

Being a good neighbour

  • Keep music from radios, stereos and TV’s to acceptable levels
  • Ensure that you carry out household chores such as washing, vacuuming and lawn mowing at reasonable times of day
  • Do not position music equipment against shared walls. Place them on rubber mats or a carpet to deaden the vibration
  • Keep all noise down from 9.00p.m. to 8.00a.m. and ensure that it cannot be heard outside of the property
  • If you have a dog, do not leave it barking constantly in the home or out in the garden
  • Warn neighbours when you are going to do something particularly noisy: drilling, hammering or having a party
  • Teach your children to think about how their playing habits might affect neighbours

Housing tenancy management
Tel: 01437 764551



ID: 1686, revised 10/05/2024