Your Tenancy

Mutual Exchange

If you are a secure tenant (or have an assured tenancy), you have the right to exchange your home with another secure or assured tenant. A mutual exchange is a useful way for people to be re-housed where tenants would not get a high priority to transfer.

You can view the Mutual Exchange List 

How do I apply for a mutual exchange?

If you have found another tenant to exchange with you should complete the Mutual Exchange Application form

This should be returned to a housing officer in the tenancy management team.

You may be refused permission to exchange, or consent will be withheld, if:

  • You are in arrears with your rent
  • Action has been started against your tenancy for a breach of other tenancy conditions
  • Your property, or the property you wish to exchange to, is larger than one of the tenants exchanging would need
  • Your property has special features making it suitable for someone with disabilities and the new tenant does not need these features

It is important that you never pay or accept money in a mutual exchange.

You can get further information on mutual exchange from your area housing office or by phoning the Customer Contact Centre on 01437 764551.

What if I want to move to another home elsewhere in Wales or the UK?

If you wish to move away from Pembrokeshire you can contact an organisation called Housing Mobility and Exchange Services (HOMES), which helps to arrange moves for people throughout the UK. You can get further information about HOMES by contacting their customer service team on 0845 080 1089. 

Housing Tenancy Management
Pembrokeshire County Council
County Hall
SA61 1TP

Tel: 01437 764551

ID: 1676, revised 13/09/2022