Your Home

Your Garden

Am I responsible for looking after my garden?

If your Council home has a garden, you as the tenant are responsible for looking after your garden. This includes:

  • Cutting any grass
  • Keeping gardens yards or driveways tidy and free of rubbish
  • Keeping any shrubs, trees and hedges at a reasonable height, not allowing them to overhang a neighbouring property or communal areas.

The Council is responsible for maintaining existing main access paths (but not garden paths), steps, fences to mark the boundary of the property walls.

Can I get any help to look after my garden?

Pensioners or registered disabled people who are unable to garden and have no-one to help them may be able to get assistance from Probation Services. Please contact Housing Tenancy Management for more information if you need help to look after your garden.

Housing Tenancy Management
Tel: 01437 764551


ID: 1727, revised 11/12/2017

Help with decorating

Do the Council offer help with the cost of decorating?

When you sign the Tenancy Agreement for your home, depending on the decorative condition of the property, you may be given an allowance. The decoration of your home is your responsibility.

The decoration allowance is an order for paint and other materials, which should be collected from the Council’s depot stores at the Building maintenance offices, Thornton Industrial Estate, Steynton, Milford Haven (see Thornton Map).

Alternatively, materials can be collected from the Fishguard Building maintenance offices, Feidr Castell, Fishguard.

You must start decoration work shortly after collecting the materials, and these must be used on the property at which you are a tenant.

If you are unable to carry out your own decoration work and have no friends or members of your family who can help, you may be able to get assistance. Please contact your Housing Officer for advice.

Building maintenance
Tel: 0800 085 6622

ID: 1751, revised 13/12/2017

Protect Your Pipes

Winter weather can burst your pipes and ruin your home. To protect your pipes follow this advice:

1. How can I prevent burst pipes?

Find your stopcock - the tap that turns off the main water supply. Find it now rather than look for it when there's water pouring everywhere! It's probably in the kitchen near the sink.

Get to know your heating controls. Central heating thermostats and time switches are complicated. Get advice from a heating engineer or energy advisor. Make sure you know who to contact if you get a burst pipe

  • If you live in a Pembrokeshire County Council home, phone Building maintenance on 0800 085 6622. You can use this number 24 hours a day, seven days a week - but only phone outside normal office hours if the problem is an emergency that threatens your health, safety or security.

Back to top

2. When you're at home

If you have central heating use the thermostat to keep the temperature comfortable. During the day a good setting is between 18°C and 22°C. If it's freezing outside set the heating to stay on continuously, but turn the thermostat lower for the night. Remember, the higher the thermostat the more fuel you use.

Back to top

3. When you're away

If you've got central heating and you're away in cold weather, leave the heating on continuously with the thermostat right down to 6°C. This will stop your pipes freezing and it won't cost much. If you haven't got central heating turn the water off at the stopcock and drain off all the cold water. Then turn off the immersion heater. If you have a solid fuel boiler, let the fire die out. Then drain off all the hot water.

Back to top

4. What happens if my pipes burst?

If your pipes burst, or freeze, here's what to do.....

1. Turn the water supply off at the stopcock tap. It's probably near the kitchen sink.

2. Turn the cold taps ON. Make sure the sink and bath plugs are out. And save some water for drinking.

3. Turn the immersion heater and central heating OFF if you have them. If you have a solid fuel boiler, let the fire die out. 

4. Turn the hot taps ON.

5. If there's water near the lights or sockets, turn the electricity off at the meter.

6. Catch leaks in basins and soak up water with towels to prevent water damaging your home.

7. If you live in a Pembrokeshire County Council home phone Building Maintenance on 0800 085 6622. You can use this number 24 hours a day, seven days a week - but only phone outside normal office hours if the problem is an emergency that threatens your health, safety or security. 

Back to top

5. What happens if my pipes have frozen?

Follow steps 1, 2 and 7 above. Or if you know which pipe is frozen, very gently warm it with hot water bottles or a hair dryer. Start from the end nearest the tap.

Contact Information:
Building maintenance
Tel: 0800 085 6622

ID: 1759, revised 07/07/2017

Damp and Mould

Is your home damp? 

Some damp is caused by condensation. This factsheet explains how to reduce the risk of dampness and mould growth.

If you have followed the guidelines in the factsheet and the problems persists please contact Building maintenance on 0800 085 6622

You can report a repair by phone during these times:

8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Thursday
8.00 am to 5.00 pm Friday
8.00 am to 2.00 pm Saturday and Sunday

Out of hours emergencies can be reported by phoning 01437 775522

To report a repair:

  • Phone the Housing Repairs Hotline on 0800 085 6622
  • Call in at a Council Customer Services Centre located at Haverfordwest, Pembroke Dock, Milford Haven, Fishguard or the cash desk in Neyland
  • By e-mail to
  • By Fax on 01437 775911
  • Write to us: Pembrokeshire County Council, Maintenance Department, Unit 23, Thornton Industrial Trading Estate, Milford Haven, SA73 2RR
ID: 1760, revised 13/12/2017

Furniture and Furnishings

Where can I get furnishings for my home?

If you need furniture and are on a limited budget why not look at the ‘small ads’ in the local paper. You can also contact FRAME.

What is FRAME?

FRAME collects unwanted, re-usable household goods including furniture, clothing and bric-a-brac free of charge.

Re-useable items are available to the general public at the FRAME showrooms in Haverfordwest and Pembroke Dock for a requested donation. Items will be discounted to those receiving State Benefit/Pension, on the production of proof of benefit.

In cases of extreme hardship or crisis FRAME can provide necessary items of furniture and household goods free of charge. Referrals for this service are accepted in writing from social workers, Pembrokeshire Action for the Homeless (PATH), community support workers, refuges and other recognised agencies. This service is provided subject to the availability of goods and an assessment of need by one of the groups or individuals previously mentioned. 

Registered Charity 1090949, Company limited by Guarantee 4037005, VAT no. 851167137

Can I get help with food and basic household items?

If you were housed as homeless you can contact Pembrokeshire Action for the Homeless (PATH) on 01437 775335. They may be able to help you with a box of basic foodstuffs to get you started. You can also contact the Salvation Army on 01834 843329 or apply for a Social Fund Grant 01437 823000.

Contact Information:

Pembrokeshire FRAME
Old Hakin Road
Merlins Bridge
SA61 1XF

Contact number 01437 779442

Opening hours
09.00am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday
10.00am - 1.00pm Saturday

Pembrokeshire Action for the Homeless (PATH)

1 Corner House
Barn Street
SA61 1BW

Tel: 01437 765335
Freephone 0800-783-5001



ID: 1691, revised 11/12/2017

Home Contents Insurance

The Council, as owners of your Council home, are only covered by insurance for the structural parts of the building. The Council has no insurance to cover: decorations, carpets, furnishings and your other possessions. It is your responsibility as a tenant to make sure that these are insured.

Have you got contents insurance?

Many tenants think that if something happened at their home such as a fire, there would not be a problem because they can claim for anything lost from the Council’s insurance.


The Council does not insure your contents for you.

As a tenant it is YOUR responsibility to ensure that you have enough insurance cover for your contents and personal effects, so that you can claim in the event of theft, loss or damage.

What is contents insurance for?

Home contents Insurance covers all of your household contents such as furniture, carpets, curtains, kitchen equipment, television, stereo, ornaments, clothing, computers etc. It is the total value of everything in your home that you would take with you if you were to move.

Some policies cover accidental damage to televisions, satellite receivers, videos, DVD players, home computers and audio equipment. You can take out a policy to cover accidental damage to all of the contents in your home.

You are strongly advised to insure the contents of your home…

Failure to take out your own insurance can in no way impose an obligation on the Council in the event of accidental damage.

You should think about including the following in your household insurance:-

a) Furniture, carpets, fittings & internal decorations i.e. damage following burst pipes, flood, bursting of heating appliances, water storage tanks and cylinders, damage arising from fire and other occurrences.
b) Sanitary Fittings i.e. accidental damage
c) Glass and glazing to windows, doors and internal partitions
d) Locks and keys

Where can I get contents insurance?

There are many insurance companies you can choose from. However, if you are not sure what sort of cover is best for you, then get advice from an independent insurance broker.

Remember – insure now to avoid disappointment later!

Contact Information:

Housing tenancy management
Tel: 01437 764551

ID: 1704, revised 11/12/2017

Pets - Keeping Animals

Can I keep a pet?

We are happy for you to keep an animal, as long as it is appropriate for the type of home you live in, and will not annoy or frighten other people. But we have to think about all our tenants and need to be sure that your pet won't cause any problems.

Do I need permission to keep a pet?

You can keep up to two domestic pets at the property without asking for the Council’s permission. You will need to ask your housing officer at the Council for written permission if you want to keep more than two animals.

Your tenancy agreement says that you must not keep any animal that is unsuitable for your home or garden, and that your pet must not annoy or frighten other people.

Please follow the following guidelines for pet owners:

  • You will need to get written permission from the Council if you want to build animal cages such as an aviary or pigeon loft.
  • Your animals should not cause a nuisance to neighbours by creating lots of noise.
  • Pets should be kept in hygienic conditions.
  • Dogs should be kept under control and not allowed to roam freely in public areas or other people’s gardens.
  • Dogs should not be allowed to foul any public area. Be considerate and always clean up after your dog.

In most cases it comes down to common sense. We don't mind people having a pet that is well behaved, quiet and kept secure - as long as it is not banned by law or other rules. But if the animal annoys or frightens other people we will take action. The tenant will have to get rid of the animal or risk legal action for anti-social behaviour.

If you are in any doubt whether the animal you keep, or want to keep, is suitable, contact us straightaway. We will give you the right advice to avoid problems later. Phone Housing on 01437 764551.

ID: 1722, revised 11/12/2017

Home Improvements

What if I want to carry out improvements to my home?

Your tenancy agreement gives you the right to make your own improvements to your Council home as long as you get our written agreement first.

We welcome people making their own improvements, and only say ‘no’ if there is a good reason – if the work would affect your neighbours, or be unsafe for example.

Do I need permission to carry out improvements from the Council?

Should the Council discover that work has been carried out to a home without permission; the Council has the authority to ask you to change the premises back to its original condition. Alternatively the Council may ask you to carry out further work until it meets the required standard. If you are unable to carry out this work the Council will carry it out and charge you the cost of doing so.

So please don’t start work until you have got the permission you need – you could end up having to put it all back again!

If you would like to carry out any home improvements please complete an application to undertake alterations/improvements to a Council property form or phone the Contact Centre on 01437 764551 to request a copy

Compensation for improvements

Improvements carried out by you

At the end of your tenancy, you may be able to get compensation for certain improvements you may have made to your home. A list of qualifying improvements can be provided by Pembrokeshire County Council Housing Department.

Compensation is only payable at the end of a tenancy. The amount will be based on the original cost and expected “life” of the improvement. However, certain conditions apply and you should contact Pembrokeshire County Council Housing Department for further information 01437 764551.

Improvements carried out by the Council

When improvements are due to take place adequate notice will be given by the Council before we begin work on your home. If any work damages decoration inside, you will be compensated accordingly or the Council will repair the damage.

In some instances the Council may have to move you out of your home for a short while if a large amount of work needs doing i.e. modernisation and refurbishment of homes. We will provide you and your household with another suitable property until the work is complete and you will be compensated for the disturbance caused.

Throughout major works, we will consult with you and keep you informed on progress and work carried out.

Further information on this document can be received from Pembrokeshire County Council Housing Department.

For further information please contact:

Dave Oldreive
Development Manager
Tel: 01437 775605


ID: 1726, revised 11/12/2017

Home Safety Advice

Ten safety tips on how to make your house safe:

1. Keep the exits from your home clear so that people can escape if there is a fire. Make sure that everyone in your home can easily find keys for doors and windows.

2. Take extra care in the kitchen – accidents while cooking account for over half of fires in homes. Never leave young children alone in the kitchen. 

Take extra care when cooking with hot oil. Consider buying a deep fat fryer which is controlled by a thermostat (if you don’t already have one).

Never leave lit candles in rooms that nobody is in or in rooms where children are on their own. Make sure candles are in secure holders on a surface that does not burn and far away from any materials that could burn.

Get into the habit of closing doors at night. If you want to keep a child’s bedroom door open, close the doors to the lounge and kitchen, it may well help save their life if there is a fire.

Don’t overload electrical sockets. Remember one plug for one socket.

Keep matches and lighters where children cannot see or reach them.

Take special care when you are tired or when you have been drinking.

9. Make sure you have working smoke alarms fitted in your home. There should be at least one smoke alarm upstairs and one downstairs in the hallway.

Remember to test your smoke alarms every week using the test button. Replace the batteries when necessary. Some smoke alarms have a 10- year life battery fitted. There is no need to change these batteries every year but at the end of 10 years the whole smoke alarm should be replaced.

Free fire safety check

In order to reduce death and injury caused by fire, the Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service has started upon a programme of Home Fire Safety Audits (HFSA’s).

Firefighters and community fire safety staff from the Service will now visit homes to give free home fire safety advice, and where appropriate install smoke alarms free of charge.

A home fire safety audit takes about an hour to complete and is generally undertaken by two fire service representatives.

You can request a free home fire safety audit for yourself or a dependant relative by contacting the service on 0870 6060699 and quote: Pembrokeshire.

A fire service representative will subsequently contact you to discuss your request.

Smoke alarms

If you are a Council tenant and your smoke alarm is broken/faulty you can ring building maintenance on 0800 085 6622 for it to be fixed or replaced.

Gas safety

If you can smell gas in your home:

  • Open doors and windows to ventilate
  • Check to see if the gas has been left on unlit or if a pilot light has gone out
  • Turn off the gas at the meter
  • Do not light any matches or lighters
  • Do not operate door bells or electrical switches
    Call TRANSCO on 0800 111999

Annual safety checks

The Council carries out free annual safety checks on gas, oil and solid fuel appliances. When you are given a date when the servicing is to be carried out it is important that you keep this appointment.

Kitchen fire safety - the basics

Every day over 20 people in the UK are killed or injured in kitchen fires.

Stop fire before it starts!

  • Keep electrical leads, tea towels and clothes away from the cooker.
  • Take care if you are wearing loose clothing, it can easily catch fire.
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean. A build up of fat and grease catches fire easily.

Cooking safely

  • Don’t leave pans unattended. Take them off the heat if you leave the room.
  • Turn around saucepan handles so they DON’T stick out.
  • When you’ve finished cooking, double check that the cooker or oven is turned OFF.

Deep fat frying

  • Dry food before putting it into hot oil.
  • If the oil starts to smoke – it’s TOO hot. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
  • Use a thermostatically controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can’t overheat.

Take care late at night

It’s easy to be careless when you’re tired or if you’ve been drinking.

What if a pan catches fire?

If you do have a kitchen fire, don’t try to put it out.

  • Shut the door, get everyone out of the house.
  • Call the fire brigade and stay out until they arrive. Most of the injuries that happen in house fires are caused trying to put out a fire. 

In an emergency always dial 999

ID: 1728, revised 11/12/2017