Your Health

Mental Health

Mental Health Emergencies

If you or someone you look after urgently needs help, don’t hesitate.

Phone any of the contacts below for help

  • Your doctor
  • NHS Direct
  • Your local CMHT
  • Your Adult Care department
  • The police
  • Samaritans crisis line   08457 90 90 90
  • C.A.L.L. Mental Health Helpline, 0800 132 737, Text ‘help’ to 81066

There are a range of mental health services available provided by the Health Service, Adult Care and the voluntary sector.

Community Mental Health Teams (CMHTs)

Community Mental Health Teams (CMHTs) are run jointly by the Health Service and Adult Care to enable them to meet the health and social needs of people with mental health problems.  The teams work to co-ordinate care whether the need is short or long term. 

Individuals who require the input of the CMHT will be offered support provided under Care and Treatment Planning (CTP) and will be allocated a care co-ordinator who may be any qualified member of the team.  This could be a community psychiatric nurse (CPN), a social worker, an occupational therapist or a consultant psychiatrist or psychologist.

A care co-ordinator works with the individual and, where appropriate their family and support networks, to draw up a ‘care plan’. This plan looks at all aspects of someone’s needs and aspirations to support their recovery.  This will include medical treatment, relapse prevention, social networks, risk, crisis planning, accommodation and employment needs and the needs of the family or friends who are looking after them.

If you get help from CMHT, you may be eligible to get direct payments so that you can, with help, choose and organise your own support services. For details see Direct Payments.

CMHT can give you information on various services available to people with mental health problems.  These include day services, vocational and training opportunities and specialist housing provision.

Getting help

To help get advice for yourself or someone else, contact your doctor who will either help you directly or refer you to CMHT.

Various organisations specialise in help and advice for people with mental health problems and for their families and friends. Listed below are both local and national organisations.

Pembrokeshire Mind


Together – For Mental Wellbeing

Bipolar UK

Mental Health Foundation

Mental Health Care



ID: 2107, revised 05/07/2022