Becoming a Childminder
If you would like to have a rewarding career, be your own boss and run your business from your own home, then childminding could be an ideal career for you!
As a registered childminder you will:
- Be able to care for your own children at the same time;
- Offer the children you care for a happy stimulating environment;
- Provide learning opportunities and see the children develop;
- Work in your home and choosing the hours you work;
- Meet other childminders in your area and get to know your local community;
What does being a registered childminder entail?
- You will look after one or more child under the age of 12; for more than two hours a day; in your own home; for payment.
- You will meet the National Minimum Standards (NMS).
- Be registered with and inspected by the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) to ensure you provide a safe and stimulating environment for the children in your care.
- You will be self- employed and run your own business
IMPORTANT – it is illegal to care for children under the age of 12 in your own home for more than two hours a day without being registered!!!
How to become a registered childminder in Pembrokeshire?
- Contact the Pembrokeshire Family Information Service (FIS) on 01437 770014 or e-mail email@example.com
- Attend a Childminder Briefing Session
· Family Information Service Officer will inform you when the ‘Understand How to Set Up a Home Based Childcare Service’ is running.
- The CYPOP 5 course is delivered over 8 weeks by Pembrokeshire College
- Once you’ve completed the course, the next stage is attending mentoring sessions in order to complete the registration pack for the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW)
- You will be required to attend a Paediatric First Aid prior to completing the registration
- Request a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) form from CSSIW for yourself and anyone over the age of 16 in the household
- Submit your application to CSSIW
- CSSIW will arrange a home visit where an inspector will come and visit you in your home
For details of forthcoming briefing sessions and courses please contact:
Pembrokeshire Family Information Service (FIS)
Tel: 01437 770014
For more information about becoming a registered childminder have a look on the following web-sites:
PACEY is the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years, supporting childminders, nannies and nursery workers;
East Tyndall Street
Telephone: 0845 880 1299
Or download a copy of the PACEY publication ‘Become a registered childminder in Wales’ by clicking on the following link:
Become a Registered Childminder in Wales
Childminding – A rewarding and flexible career choice
Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW)
CSSIW is the national government body responsible for registering and inspecting childminders in Wales;
South West Region
Telephone: 0300 7900 126
Fax: 01267 245140