Ukrainian Information Centre


Applying for a school place and childcare

Ukrainian nationals can apply for a school place for a child as soon as they arrive. Starting school can help children settle in and make friends.

A parent can apply for a school place for their child. Alternatively, you can complete the application on the parent’s behalf.

You can apply for the child to start in the new school year in September or in the middle of the school year.

The application will be considered under Pembrokeshire’s school admission arrangements, as all applications are. The outcome will depend on the number of places available at local schools.

Guests are advised to contact the Pembrokeshire Parent Partnership on or 01437 776354 to discuss their children joining a local school and how to complete the school admissions process.

More information can be found at: School admissions and transport 

Free home to school transport

Your guest’s child may be able to get free transport to school, depending on how far they live from the school and any additional needs they may have. To qualify for free school transport your child must:

  • Be a resident of Pembrokeshire
  • Be of compulsory school age
  • Be attending their catchment area school which is designated by the Council to serve the pupil’s home address, or to the nearest suitable school
  • Live at least 2 miles from the school if they’re in primary school or at least 3 miles from the school if they’re in secondary school

Free school meals and Pupil Development Grant

Free school meals will only be provided for pupils who receive or whose parents receive one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA). Contribution Based Jobseekers Allowance (CBJSA) does not qualify
  • Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credits only, with an annual household Income of under £16,190 *
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (IR)
  • Universal Credit

From September 2022 families will need to register for Free School meals. As well as receiving a healthy nutritious meal families will automatically become eligible for a Pupil Development Grant.  This can be used to purchase equipment for school, including uniform, stationary, IT equipment, school bags, school trips etc.

If a uniform (or other permitted items) has already been purchased for a learner and they meet the above criteria, a retrospective claim can be made (within the academic year).

To register for a free school meal please go to Free School Meals - Pembrokeshire County Council or alternatively speak to your Lead Worker for assistance.

Application forms are also available from:

  • your Childs’s school
  • by telephoning 01437 764551;
  • by writing to Revenue Services, County Hall, Haverfordwest, SA61 1TP.


Ukrainian nationals will be able to get advice and support to find childcare from our Family Information Service.

Telephone: 07435 780910


Website: Family Information Service 

ID: 9073, revised 26/10/2022