Trade Waste

Self-catering accommodation and holiday lets

Does this include self-catering accommodation and holiday lets?

The short answer is yes. If you use your property for business, either letting it out as a holiday home, self-catering accommodation or running a guesthouse, you must have  commercial waste and recycling arrangements in place. 

The Controlled Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2012 state that holiday lets and self-catering accommodation are not permitted to use the local Council’s domestic waste and recycling collection service. This is because waste from a property used in the course of a business (including any “Domestic property used in the course of a business for the provision of self-catering accommodation”) is classed as commercial waste. You are therefore required to have a commercial waste contract. This applies whether or not your property is registered for payment of non-domestic/business rates, council tax or council tax premium.

This does not include the waste and recycling produced when these properties are used as a main residence or second home, which are eligible for the standard domestic waste and recycling collections service free of charge from PCC. 

Trade waste and recycling service 

ID: 11242, revised 19/12/2023