The Childcare Offer Wales
10 hours of Funded Early Education – 3-4 year olds
Please note: In September 2022 ‘Foundation Phase Nursery (FPN) funding’ was replaced with the name ‘Funded Early Education’. This webpage has been updated to show this change.
Applications for Spring term (8th January 2024- 22nd March 2024) are now CLOSED.
All children in Wales are entitled to a free, part time early education place in an approved early years setting from the term following their 3rd birthday and prior to gaining full time entry into school (term following their 4th birthday).
Pembrokeshire County Council agrees to provide the funding received from Welsh Government to offer all 3-4 year olds in Pembrokeshire a minimum of 10 hours funded part-time education in an approved setting during the school term. Parents can choose to take up the child’s entitlement in either a maintained or a non-maintained setting:
A maintained setting – a nursery class in a school offering 10 hours or more a week of funded early education.
A non-maintained setting – This could be a private day nursery, a playgroup or a Cylch Meithrin that has approved status offering up to 10 hours a week of funded early education over a minimum of 3 days. This can be accessed over 2 settings.
All non-maintained approved settings who receive the funding:
- are registered with the local education authority to deliver early education.
- are Inspected by CIW and ESTYN on a regular basis
- supported by a qualified teacher on a regular basis
- have appropriately trained staff
Where can my child access Funded Early Education in Pembrokeshire?
Below is a list of all approved non-maintained settings that offer funded early education in Pembrokeshire:
- Bloomfield Day Nursery - Bloomfield House Community Centre, Redstone Road; Narberth; SA67 7ES
- Bright Start Nursery - Pembrokeshire College, Haverfordwest, SA61 1SZ
- Broad Haven Playgroup - Village Hall, Marine Road, Broad Haven, SA62 3JS
- Camrose and Roch Playgroup – Pelcomb Community Centre, Haverfordwest, SA62 6AA
- Cylch Meithrin Abergwaun - Fishguard Leisure Centre, Fishguard, SA65 9DT
- Cylch Meithrin Arberth - Bloomfield Community Centre, Redstone Road, Narberth, SA67 7EP
- Cylch Meithrin Bwlchygroes - Yr Hen Ysgol, Neuadd Bwlchygroes, SA35 0DP
- Cylch Meithrin Casmael - Puncheston School, Haverfordwest, SA62 5RL
- Cylch Meithrin Crymych – Caban, Ysgol y Frenni, SA41 3QH
- Cylch Meithrin Eglwyswrw – Yr Hen Ysgol, Eglwyswrw, SA41 3SN
- Cylch Meithrin Hermon – Canolfan Hermon, Hermon, SA36 0DT
- Cylch Meithrin Maenclochog - Neuadd Gymunedol, Maenclochog, SA66 7LB
- Golden Manor Nursery - Golden Lane, Pembroke, SA71 4PR
- Happy Days Childcare - The Docks, Milford Haven, SA73 3AA
- Meithrinfa Do-re-mi – Station Road, Letterston, SA62 5RY
- Playdays Fishguard - Crowne Building, Brodog Lane, Fishguard, SA65 9NT
- Portfield Pre-School - Flying Start Centre, Cross Park, Pennar, SA72 6SW
- Spittal Playgroup- Church Hall, The Green, Spittal, SA62 5QT
- Stepping Stones - 18A Bush Row, Haverfordwest SA61 1RJ
- Tabernacle Kindergarten - Tabernacle Church School Room, 93 Main Street, Pembroke, SA71 4DE
- Tavernspite playgroup - Tavernspite Village Hall, Tavernspite, SA34 0NL
- Templetots Playgroup - Templeton School, Templeton, SA67 8RS
Note: Please speak to your chosen setting and have your child’s place agreed before you submit an application. Allocation of a funded place can be accessed at two settings listed above.
When will my child benefit from Funded Early Education ?
All children in Wales can have access to funded Early Education from the beginning of the term following their 3rd birthday and prior to gaining full time entry into full time school.
Please refer to the link here for further information on how to apply for a full time place in school: School Admissions online
Child's Date of Birth
When can my child access Funded Early Education?
|1st April 2020 - 31st August 2020
|Autumn 2023 (September 2023)
|1st September 2020 - 31st December 2020
|Spring 2024 (January 2024)
|1st January 2021 - 31st March 2021
|Summer 2024 (April 2024)
|1st April 2021 - 31st August 2021
|Autumn 2024 (September 2024)
|1st September 2021 - 31st December 2021
|Spring 2025 (January 2025)
How do I apply for Funded Early Education for my child at a non-maintained setting?
You will need to talk to the childcare provider that you are currently using (or intend to use) for your child’s Funded Early Education.
The childcare provider will check when your child will become eligible. If your child is eligible, you will be asked to complete an on-line application (see below):
How does it work? Step-by-step
- Contact your chosen Early Education setting and have your child’s place agreed
- Complete On-line application. Whilst applicants will be signing a disclaimer to confirm that they meet the criteria for eligibility, it is expected that each application is also supported by documentary evidence of the child’s date of birth (either a birth certificate/passport/medical health records) and proof of a Pembrokeshire address.
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email confirming that your application has been received.
- It can take up to 14 working days for your application to be processed. Once your application has been processed, you will receive another email approving/declining your application.
- If your application has been approved, an email will be sent to your chosen Early Education non-maintained setting with confirmation of a funded place. Funding will then be released directly to your chosen setting once the application has been approved.
Please note: An application will need to be completed for every term your child is eligible.
If you experience any issues with completing the on-line application form or would like further information, please contact:
Tel: 01437 776194
The Childcare Offer for Wales
On top of the entitlement of 10 hours a week of free early years education (which is available to all children), you may also be able to benefit from an additional 20 hours of funded childcare. To find out more about the Childcare Offer please visit Child Care Offer Wales