All children in Wales are entitled to a free, part time Foundation Phase Nursery (FPN) education place in an approved early years setting from the term following their third birthday and prior to gaining full time entry into school.
Pembrokeshire County Council agrees to provide the funding received from Welsh Government to offer all eligible children a minimum of 10 hours funded part-time education in an approved setting during the school term. Parents can choose to take up the child’s entitlement either in a maintained or a non-maintained setting:
A maintained setting – a nursery class in a school offering 10 hours or more a week of funded Foundation Phase Nursery (FPN).
A non-maintained setting – which could be a private day nursery, a playgroup or a Cylch Meithrin that has approved status offering 10 hours a week of funded Foundation Phase Nursery (FPN) over a minimum of 3 days. This can be accessed over 2 settings.
All non-maintained approved settings who receive the funding:
Below is a list of all approved non-maintained settings that deliver Foundation Phase Nursery in Pembrokeshire:
· Bright Start Nursery - Pembrokeshire College, Haverfordwest, SA61 1SZ
· Broad Haven Playgroup - Village Hall, Marine Road, Broad Haven, SA62 3JS
· Camrose and Roch Playgroup – Pelcomb Community Centre, Haverfordwest, SA62 6AA
· Cylch Meithrin Abergwaun - Fishguard Leisure Centre, Fishguard, SA65 9DT
· Cylch Meithrin Arberth - Bloomfield Community Centre, Redstone Road, Narberth, SA67 7EP
· Cylch Meithrin Bwlchygroes - Yr Hen Ysgol, Neuadd Bwlchygroes, SA35 0DP
· Cylch Meithrin Casmael - Puncheston School, Haverfordwest, SA62 5RL
· Cylch Meithrin Crymych – Caban, Ysgol y Frenni, SA41 3QH
· Cylch Meithrin Eglwyswrw – Yr Hen Ysgol, Eglwyswrw, SA41 3SN
· Cylch Meithrin Hermon – Canolfan Hermon, Hermon, SA36 0DT
· Cylch Meithrin Maenclochog - Neuadd Gymunedol, Maenclochog, SA66 7LB
· Noah’s Ark Childcare - Tabernacle Lane, Narberth, SA67 7DE
· Playdays Fishguard - Crowne Building, Brodog Lane, Fishguard, SA65 9NT
· Spittal Playgroup- Church Hall, The Green, Spittal, SA62 5QT
· Stepping Stones - 18A Bush Row, Haverfordwest SA61 1RJ
· Tabernacle Kindergarten - Tabernacle Church School Room, 93 Main Street, Pembroke, SA71 4DE
· Tavernspite playgroup - Tavernspite Village Hall, Tavernspite, SA34 0NL
· Templetots Playgroup - Templeton School, Templeton, SA67 8RS
Note: Please speak to your chosen Foundation Phase Nursery (FPN) setting and have your child’s place agreed before you submit an application.
Although it is not statutory for your child to attend Foundation Phase Nursery prior to gaining full time place in school, this is a very important phase in your child’s life as it lays the building blocks for their future learning and is part of the current and future curriculum. Foundation Phase Nursery (FPN) is a general term used to describe the time your child spends in the Foundation Phase during the ages of three and four.
The Foundation Phase takes place both indoors and outdoors and allows children to learn through play. The curriculum gives every child the opportunity to be at the centre of their learning. Your child’s interests will be taken into account and they will be encouraged to make choices about their learning. Qualified staff will be observing children, working with individuals, small groups, or at times the whole group to extend and develop the learning. This results in a learning experience which is practical, fun and full of hands-on activities which are known to develop the following:
For further information on the Foundation Phase: Foundation Phase Guide for Parents and Carers
All children in Wales can have access to funded Foundation Phase Nursery (FPN) from the beginning of the term following their 3rd birthday and prior to gaining full time entry into full time school. Please refer to the link here for further information on how to apply for a full time place in school. (School Admissions online)
Child's Date of Birth
When can my child access Foundation Phase Nursery?
1st April 2017 – 31st August 2017
Autumn 2020: 2nd of September 2020
1st September 2017– 31st December 2017
Spring 2021: 4th of January 2021
You will need to talk to the childcare provider that you are currently using (or intend to use) for your child’s funded Foundation Phase Nursery.
The childcare provider will check when your child will become eligible. If your child is eligible, you will be asked to complete an on-line parent application here
1. Contact your chosen Foundation Phase Nursery setting and have your child’s place agreed
2. Complete On-line application here. Whilst applicants will be signing a disclaimer to confirm that they meet the criteria for eligibility, it is expected that each application is also supported by documentary evidence of the child’s date of birth (either a birth certificate/passport/medical health records) and proof of a Pembrokeshire address.
3. Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email confirming that your application has been received.
4. It can take up to 14 working days for your application to be processed. Once your application has been processed, you will receive another email approving/declining your application.
5. If your application has been approved, an email will be sent to your chosen non-maintained setting with confirmation of a funded place. Funding will then be released directly to your chosen setting once the application has been approved.
If you experience any issues with completing the on-line application form or would like further information, please contact:
Tel: 01437 770014
On top of the entitlement of 10 hours a week of free early years education (which is available to all children), you may also be able to benefit from an additional 20 hours of funded childcare. To find out more about the Childcare Offer please visit Child Care Offer Wales