Support from Adult Care - Assessments

Support from Social Care - Assessments

You can ask for an assessment of needs for yourself, a family member or friend or the person you are looking after. This assessment should take all circumstances into account, including your contribution to the person’s care and the help you need to go on caring.

You may also find it useful to ask their advice on how to help the person you are caring for to become less dependent on you. In many cases, with a little support and guidance, someone who has had a set back can re-learn skills. Adult Care staff are expert in identifying what support is needed to help people regain their independence.  

Support may also be available prior to the needs assessment being carried out. 

Pembrokeshire Carers Information & Support Services offers help and support to carers, aged 18+. You can contact them on:

Tel: 01437 611002 or email

Carers UK - Assessments Wales (opens in a new tab)

ID: 2194, revised 13/05/2024

Carer’s Assessment

All carers are entitled to an assessment of their needs if they want one. This is called a ‘carer’s assessment’. If you were already getting help from Adult Care before you became a carer, don’t forget to mention to your care manager that you are now looking after someone. 

If you have already asked Adult Care for help for the person you look after, you can either talk to the same care manager or you can ask to speak to someone different. Everything you say will be confidential and will not be passed on to the person you are caring for, so you should feel free to explain exactly how you feel and what problems there are.

ID: 2195, revised 11/08/2022

Direct Payments

If Adult Care assesses that the person you are caring for is eligible for financial assistance to help with the cost of meeting their care needs, they may wish to use the direct payments scheme. This would enable you to organise and purchase the help that you need for them directly instead of it being arranged through Adult Care.

If you are a carer who has had a carer’s assessment and who is eligible for support from your Adult Care department, you can request direct payments in respect of your own needs. This will be independent of services provided to the person you care for. If you are unsure whether you are eligible for support please contact Adult Care on 01437 764551.


ID: 2197, revised 13/05/2024

Services from the Health Service

Your doctor can give you general information about the illness or disability affecting the person you are looking after, and how it might develop. Your doctor can only give you specific information about the person you care for if that person agrees that you should have it. It is important that you talk this through before you approach the doctor. He or she can also put you in touch with specialist organisations that can give you information and support.

It is often very stressful caring for someone else and it can make you susceptible to injury and illness. The doctor can give you help and advice if your own health is suffering because you are looking after someone else. You can get advice about lifting and relevant training from your surgery. Independently, you can hire a night care service so that you can get some uninterrupted sleep.

If you tell your doctor that you are an unpaid carer, they can register you as an unpaid carer in their records. This may help co-ordinate services for you and the person you care for and can help you access local support services. To register as an unpaid carer with your GP, see a member of staff at the surgery.

Carers UK - coming out of hospital (opens in a new tab)


ID: 2198, revised 13/05/2024

Taking a break

Caring for someone can be exhausting; taking a break can be vital for everyone’s wellbeing and quality of life.

The person, or those, you care for could also benefit from enjoying new experiences, a change of scene and routine, and meeting other people.

Everyone’s needs are different and it may be helpful to take time to consider what would work best, e.g. an hour or so per week, a day here and there or even a holiday.

ID: 2202, revised 29/04/2024