Nest is the Welsh Assembly Government’s New Fuel Poverty Scheme and British Gas is the delivery partner for the scheme.
The programme is designed to make private sector households warmer and healthier places to live. The scheme offers householders a range of free home improvements to help them heat their homes more efficiently and stay warm without facing huge energy bills.
The Nest scheme takes a ‘whole house’ approach to determining what energy improvement work would be most suitable, some examples include:
- Loft and cavity wall insulation
- Solid Wall insulation
- Draught Proofing
- Boiler Replacement
To qualify for Nest you must be a private home-owner or private tenant, have a property with an energy efficiency rating of F or G and in receipt of one of the following means tested benefits:
- Child Tax Credit where the household income is below £16,010
- Council Tax Benefit (excluding the single person occupancy reduction)
- Housing Benefit
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit where the household income is below £16,010
Not sure if your property qualifies, typically an F or G rated property would have all, or most, of the following characteristics:
- No central heating or a central heating system with a very inefficient boiler. (Usually a boiler of 15 or more years old).
- Homes heated by a fuel other than mains gas
- Solid Walls
- Un-insulated cavity walls
- No loft insulation / less than 100mm
- Single glazed windows
Also, detached, semi detached or end terraced properties are more likely to be F or G rated.
For further information and to apply call free phone 0800 512 012 or visit www.nestwales.org.uk