Private Housing


Do you need help with your day to day activities in and around your home?

such as:

  • Personal care - washing or toileting
  • Managing stairs/steps
  • Getting into and out of the bath or shower
  • Cooking
  • Rails to give you extra support in your home

There are a range of gadgets and equipment that can help many people achieve these activities independently. These include basic gadgets such as jar openers to larger equipment such as stairlifts. These can be purchased by you on-line or from local specialist shops - simply search on-line for ‘mobility aids Pembrokeshire' to find one local to you.

If you need advice on aids and adaptations so that you can continue to live safely and securely in your home, the following Agencies and Services may be able to help:

West Wales Care & Repair (opens in a new tab)

If you are aged 60 or over and are a home owner or rent privately, the Agency can provide free advice and support to help you carry out necessary repairs and adaptations to your home. They will visit you in your own home to discuss what you need, the possible solutions, the likely costs and help identify sources of funding. They will also carry out a home safety check to ensure you are safe in your home i.e. by installing smoke alarms.

West Wales Care & Repairalso deliver the Rapid Response Adaptation Programme (which is funded by the Welsh Government) providing repairs and small adaptations for people who are currently in hospital but require adaptations before they are discharged, or have recently been discharged from hospital, or are at risk of being admitted to hospital or into a Care Home.

Telephone: 01437 766717

Pembrokeshire County Council

If you think you may require larger adaptations because of your illness or disability you can request an Occupational Therapy assessment from Social Services. The Occupational Therapist (OT) will visit you at home to carry out an assessment which will involve:

  • Gathering information on your medical condition/disability
  • A discussion on how you manage daily living tasks around your home
  • The OT will need to observe you undertaking certain tasks to enable them to have a better understanding of your difficulties, so you will need to be home for the assessment. 

The OT will then recommend a solution to meet your needs. You will then be visited by a Grants Inspector who will look at the most appropriate way your home can be adapted.

If you are a home owner or a private tenant you may be entitled to a disabled facilities grant to help pay for the work. However these grants are means tested and you may need to undertake a financial assessment (unless the adaptation is for a child or young person under 19 which are exempt). We can provide support to you through the process. In 2015/16 the average time taken from first contacting the Council to when adaptation was completed was 314 days.

If you are a Council or Housing Association tenant you will still require an OT assessment, but in most cases you will not need to pay for the work or apply for a grant.

Where works are extensive and it is not cost effective to adapt your existing home, we will need to consider the option of assisting you to move to a more suitable property. This applies if you are a home owner, renting privately or a Council or Housing Association tenant.

To make a referral for an OT assessment please contact us: 

Tel: 01437 764551
Type Talk Tel: 18001 then 01437 764551
Fax: 01437 776699


Out of hours emergency telephone number: 08708 509508


ID: 1571, revised 10/11/2023