Planning Applications FAQs

When is planning permission needed ?

Planning permission is needed whenever someone wants to carry out development. 'Development' includes:

  • Building works, including most new buildings and extensions and alterations to existing buildings
  • Engineering operations
  • Changes of use (e.g. converting a farm building into a dwelling)

The law allows some works and changes of use to take place without the need to apply for planning permission. This includes things such as minor internal alterations to buildings, and most works of repair and maintenance. In order to be sure, we would recommend that you consult us prior to starting any work.

ID: 2325, revised 24/01/2018