Planning Applications FAQs

What kinds of planning permission are there?

There are two types of planning permission:

  • If you think that you may want to carry out development at some point in the future, you can apply for an approval in principle, which is called outline planning permission (or consent). If you receive outline planning permission, you must then submit further details (called reserved matters) in order for the development to be allowed to start. You must do this within three years or the outline consent will lapse.
  • The second type is called 'full planning permission,' where you provide all the necessary details to start work immediately. If granted, development must start within five years (or any other time specified in the conditions) or it will lapse.
ID: 2332, revised 24/01/2018