Maintaining Independence

Maintenance and Repairs

Private Home Owners and Tenants

If your home needs repairing and you are a tenant, you should contact your landlord. If you are a homeowner, always go to a reputable trader. Please refer to Choosing a Reliable Tradesman for advice and never agree to repairs to roofing or driveways offered at the door. 

If you have a disability or are over 60 and not able or confident about arranging repairs yourself, Care & Repair can support you to arrange tradesmen.

We also offer a Home Improvement Loan which can be used for maintenance work which relates to making a home warmer, safer or more secure.

Local Authority Tenants

Information about Council and tenant responsibilities, as well as how to report a repair and target timescales are explained in Repairs.

You can make improvements to your property yourself but you must first apply to seek approval before commencing any such work.

Social Housing Association Tenants

Please contact your landlord to discuss your needs.


ID: 2048, revised 28/06/2022