Living with a Disability

Hearing problems

Help from your doctor

Hearing aids

Help from Adult Care

Specialist organisations 

Help from your doctor

If you are having problems with your hearing, go to your doctor as soon as possible. Your doctor may:

  • Give you treatment particularly if there is a blockage or an infection
  • Refer you to a specialist for a more detailed examination – perhaps to the audiology department or to an ear, nose and throat consultant
  • Refer you to a hearing therapist who can give advice about living with hearing loss and making the most of your remaining hearing. 

Hearing aids 

Your doctor can arrange for you to go to the hospital audiology department to be tested and fitted with a hearing aid free of charge.

Alternatively, you can be tested and buy a hearing aid from a private company at a commercial rate. If you buy privately, check whether the company is registered under the Hearing Aid Council Act. 

Help from Adult Care 

The Council has specialists who can give help and advice to those with hearing problems. This includes practical ideas and information about specialist organisations, classes and clubs that can offer you support. 

Specialist organisations 

National Office, First Floor, Trinity Centre, Key Close, Whitechapel, London. E1 4HG
Tel: 020 7790 6147  
Fax: 020 7790 6147

The Grange, Wycombe Road. Saunderton, Princess Risborough, Buckinghamshire, HP27 9NS
Tel: 01844 348 100 (voice and minicom)
Fax: 01844 348 101

19 – 23 Featherstone Street, London EC1Y 8SL
Tel: 0808 808 0123
Textphone: 0808 808 9000

Tel: 03330 144 525
Textphone: 0330 144 530

  • Deafblind people

People who have dual sensory loss or who are deafblind can contact Pembrokeshire County Council on 01437 764551 to get help, a specialist assessment and information about equipment. 

Deafblind UK Head Office, National Centre for Deafblindness, John & Lucille van Geest Place, Cygnet Road, Hampton, Peterborough, PE7 8FD
Tel: 01733 358100

Tŷ Penderyn, 26 High St, Merthyr Tydfil, CF47 8DP
Tel: 0300 330 9282 Textphone: 0300 330 9282

Dewis Cymru (opens in a new tab) is the place to go if you want information or advice about your well-being – or want to know how you can help somebody else.



ID: 10674, revised 24/08/2023

Learning Disabilities

There are many kinds of support available to people with learning disabilities to help them live as independently as possible and play a part in their local community. There is help with learning new skills, finding a place to live, getting a job and speaking up for themselves.

For those who are eligible for help, Adult Care can arrange services which might include:

  • Day Opportunities – Social Activity Centres and services in the community
  • Short breaks and respite
  • Supported employment
  • Adult placement 

Independent information, advice and help 

Some people will need the kind of support that can only be given by organisations who have special skills or knowledge. The following are some helpful contacts:

Learning Disability Strategy 

The Partnership Board is in the process of renewing the next 5 year strategy for 2023-2028 and are now considering all the actions that have been completed on the previous LD strategy and will produce an end of strategy report.


Dewis Cymru (opens in a new tab) is the place to go if you want information or advice about your well-being – or want to know how you can help somebody else.

ID: 10680, revised 24/08/2023

Living with a disability

There are a range of services which provide advice and support to help people living with a disability keep as much independence as possible

ID: 10676, revised 24/08/2023

Sight Problems

Help from the Health Service

Help from Adult Care

Audio, Braille and large print documents 

Specialist Organisations 

Pembrokeshire Library and Information Service 

Help from the Health Service

If you are having problems with your sight, go to your GP or optician as soon as possible. If necessary, they may refer you to an eye clinic or a consultant ophthalmologist. Your doctor or optician will also be able to provide details of Low Vision Clinics where you can borrow special magnifiers or glasses. Clinics will also be able to give you details of organisations that can offer you emotional support or advice concerning particular conditions.

Help from Adult Care

Pembrokeshire County Council has a specialist visual impairment team. The team carries out assessments and provides support and services to help people find practical solutions to the everyday problems that arise from sight loss. Tel: 01437 764551.

Audio, Braille and large print documents 

If you wish to get audio versions (tape or CD), Braille or large print versions of any documents you receive (e.g. from your bank, building society etc), speak to the organisation and ask for the document to be provided. Transcriptions can be provided by the Royal National Institute for the Blind (opens in a new tab) (RNIB)

Specialist Organisations 

  • Pembrokeshire Blind Society 

Tel: 01437 781419

RNIB Cymru, Jones Court, Womanby Street, Cardiff, CF10 1BR

Tel: 029 2082 8500


Helpline 0303 123 9999 (Monday to Friday 8.45am to 6pm; Saturday 9 – 4pm)

Head Office, Crown Chambers, South Street, Andover,

Helpline: 0300 3030 111


1 Bennetthorpe, Doncaster, DN2 6AA

Tel: 0844 477 4966

  • Action for Blind People

53 Sandgate Street, London, SE15 1LE

Tel: 01302 965195


Tel: 0118 983 5555

  • Guide Dogs Cymru

Building 3, Eastern Business Park, St  Mellons, Cardiff.

Tel: 0118 983 8746


National Centre for Deafblindness, 19 Rainbow Court, Paston Ridings, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE4 7UP

Tel/Textphone: 01733 358 100



Pembrokeshire Library and Information Service 

For full details see Pembrokeshire Libraries

Anyone with a disability can:

  • Borrow Audio Books - (on Cassette and CD) for free
  • Borrow DVDs - for £1.00 per item
  • Return books late without any overdue charges

Friends or Family

If disability or a health problem prevents you from using a library in person, you can nominate someone (a friend or family member) to select and take out books on your behalf. Simply complete a Friends or Family Form and ask the nominated person to return it to the library they intend to use.

There are no charges for overdue items.


Free access to the internet is available for up to one hour per day at all our libraries. Dolphin Supernova software which enables the partially sighted to access the screen is installed on a PC at each of our libraries.

Books on prescription

This is a national scheme, funded by the Welsh Government. The aim of the scheme is to help patients that have mild to moderate mental health problems. Doctors are able to prescribe a book from a list of self help titles which are available in public libraries.

Just take your prescription to a local library and collect the book that has been prescribed. If a copy is not immediately available, library staff will reserve a copy and let you know when the book becomes available.

Children and Family Books Bibliotherapy 

This is a national scheme, which enables a child who has an emotional or psychological problem to get a ‘book recommendation' from someone who works directly with families, such as a GP or Health Visitor.

The scheme operates in the same way as the Books on Prescription scheme above.

 With all the above services, there are no charges for overdue items. However it is appreciated by other users if items are returned on time. Haverfordwest Reference Library also has the following equipment available for use by the public.

  • Canon ReadEasy Document Reading System - converts scanned texts into speech
  • Bierley Big Reader - scroll the mouse across the text or image and it will be magnified on to the screen
  • Big Mouse and Keyboard(with large letters) which can be used on our computers

Audio books and newspapers

Local Newspapers

The following weekly local newspapers produce a taped version of the weekly newspapers:-

  • Western Telegraph
  • Tenby Observer
  • Milford Mercury

The tapes are delivered free of charge in a plastic wallet with free return postage. Membership can be arranged via the Rehabilitation Officers based within Adult Care.

National Talking Newspapers and Magazines

Tel: 0303 123 9999

Calibre Audio Library

01296 432339

RNIB Talking Book Service (opens in a new tab)

Tel: 0303 123 9999

Royal Mail Articles for the Blind

Royal Mail operate a scheme called Articles for the Blind that allows blind and partially sighted people to send and receive specialist items in the post free of charge. Tel: 0345 607 6140


Dewis Cymru (opens in a new tab) is the place to go if you want information or advice about your well-being – or want to know how you can help somebody else.

ID: 10673, revised 22/09/2023

Care Management and Monitoring - Review

As part of our responsibility for managing your care it is important that we monitor and review the service you receive. Monitoring means that we keep an eye on the services that you receive. We do this either by the active involvement of a professional practitioner from social care or health (your Care Co-ordinator or Key Worker) or by receiving regular reports from your service provider.

It is also our responsibility to review your service and circumstances to ensure that the service continues to meet your needs. A review should be undertaken at least annually. It may take the form of a meeting with you, your carer and any service provider or we may undertake a review by contacting you,  and asking you some questions about your circumstances and service. We will also contact the provider of your services so they can let us know their views on how things are going.

If your needs change at any time and the services in your care plan are no longer suitable please let us know and we will arrange for someone to reassess your needs.

For example you may have regained some of your independence through recovery from illness or injury or you may be finding it more difficult to manage because your health has deteriorated.

For further information please contact:

Tel: 01437 764551


Dewis Cymru (opens in a new tab) is the place to go if you want information or advice about your well-being – or want to know how you can help somebody else.

ID: 2542, revised 24/08/2023

Physical disabilities

Whether you are registered as disabled, or you are just finding it harder to get about or do things for yourself there are many kinds of support available to help you live as independently as possible. You may be eligible to receive this support through the Adult Care. Adult Care can work with you to provide information and help you to access a range of services that meet your needs. 

You can ask Adult Care for an assessment of the help you might need. If you qualify for help you may want to consider using the ‘Direct payments scheme’ which gives you money to spend on arranging your own care. 

Has disability information about employment, health and education. There is also advice for disabled people on independent living, leisure, financial support and rights and access to on-line services.

Provides support, information and advice to more than a quarter of a million disabled people and their families every year and raise awareness of disability issues.

The Department of Health offers a wide range of information for people with physical disabilities 

Disability Rights UK provides information, products and services developed by and for disabled people. They have published a guide for newly disabled people and their families called 'If I had only known that a year ago', available from online and chain book stores.

An online community providing information, news and lively online debates with other disabled and non-disabled people, parents, carers, nurses and occupation therapists.

Dewis Cymru (opens in a new tab) is the place to go if you want information or advice about your well-being – or want to know how you can help somebody else.

ID: 2142, revised 24/08/2023