What factors determine whether or not an artificial light source amounts to a statutory nuisance?
The determination of statutory nuisance is based upon a number of factors, including: -
- The nature of the surrounding area, i.e. rural/urban/commercial
- How many light nuisance incidents have occurred to date
- How often is the light in use
- What time of the night is the light in use from and when is it turned off
- How long does the light last for
- What is the impact of the light, e.g. how bright is it in your house and what rooms are affected
- Have any measures been taken to mitigate the impact of the light by the complainant; e.g. use of curtains or blinds.