Caravan and Tent Site Licensing

Caravan Site Licensing

A caravan includes holiday caravans, residential caravans, touring caravans and dormobiles.

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the local authority. There are a number of exemptions to this licensing requirement, such as:

  • Incidental use within the boundary of a dwelling house 
  • Sites approved by certain organisations i.e. caravan club etc. 
  • Building and engineering sites 
  • Traveling Showman sites 
  • Sites occupied by the local authority
ID: 1516, revised 01/02/2023