Income Support

Other payments and schemes

You may be able to get National Insurance credits if you’re not paying National Insurance, e.g. when you’re claiming benefits because you’re ill or unemployed.

National Insurance

Credits can help to fill gaps in your National Insurance record, to make sure you qualify for certain benefits including the State Pension. You can contact HMRC on 0300 200 3500 (textphone: 0300 200 3519) to find out of you have any gaps in your National Insurance record and to find out if you are eligible.

Green Deal

Green Deal helps you make energy-saving improvements to your home and find the best way to pay for them. You may be able to claim back money from the government if you make energy-saving home improvements through the Green Deal Home Improvement Fund. You can contact the Energy Saving Advice Service for more information on this or other energy saving matters on 0300 123 1234

Equity release

Equity release schemes offer older homeowners the chance to get cash for some of the value of their home. Sometimes this is a lump sum or as regular payments. Before you participate in an Equity release scheme you must seek independent financial and legal advice to ensure that this is the best way to make your money work for you. 

Financial support for disabled students

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) help with costs incurred in attending recognised courses at university, as a direct result of disabilities. DSAs are available to full time and part time students with disabilities although part time students must be studying 50% of a full-time course. DSAs are available to both undergraduates and postgraduates. See GOV.UK

ID: 2173, revised 11/08/2022