Highways and Transport
Your Council Tax contributes towards…
- maintaining nearly 2,500 km of roads, and keeping our streets clean and safe.
- maintaining 575km of footways, 670 bridges and culverts, and 230 highway retaining structures.
- gritting 560km of primary routes and 130km of secondary routes across the county whenever ice or snow is forecast.
- severe weather response including clearing snow, and reacting to floods, fallen trees and road traffic collisions.
- providing 15,350 street lights and CCTV in five town centres.
- starting the roll-out of fast electric vehicle charging in Council-owned car parks.
- providing transport to and from school for nearly 6,000 pupils and students per day.
- providing almost 30 school crossing patrol officers.
- organising and taking part in the multi-agency Crucial Crew, an annual two-week event providing crucial safety information for some 1,400 pupils in year six.
- subsidising almost three-quarters of bus services in the County, providing over one million passenger journeys per year.
- providing over 2,000 journeys per week for elderly and disabled people to and from Day Centres and Activity Centres.
- supporting community transport schemes to provide innovative solutions to meet local demands. These schemes provide approximately 40,000 passenger journeys for people unable to use regular buses.
- managing the concessionary bus pass scheme for over 30,000 bus pass holders.
- preserving 12.3km of Council-owned coastal defences.