Highways and Transport
Your Council Tax is spent on...
- maintaining nearly 2,500 km of roads, and keeping our streets clean and safe.
- maintaining 575km of footways, 670 bridges and culverts, and 230 highway retaining structures.
- providing 15,350 street lights and CCTV in five town centres.
- providing transport to and from school for over 5,000 pupils per day
- subsidising almost three-quarters of bus services in the County, providing over one million passenger journeys per year.
- providing over 2,000 journeys per week for elderly and disabled people to and from Day Centres and Activity Centres
- supporting community transport schemes to provide innovative solutions to meet local demands.
- managing the concessionary bus pass scheme for over 28,000 bus pass holders.
- preserving 12.3km of Council-owned coastal defences.