How to register a death

What happens if the death is referred to the Coroner?

In certain circumstances the death will have to be referred to the Coroner by the doctor or the registrar. The coroner may decide:

  • no action is necessary and inform the registrar accordingly
  • to hold a post mortem examination, in which case a pink form 100B will be issued by the coroner to be used instead of the medical certificate
  • to hold an inquest - the coroner's officer or registrar will advise you what to do in these circumstances. An Interim Death Certificate will be issued. Please notify the Coroner's Office immediately if the certificate contains any incorrect or missing information.
ID: 2554, revised 06/07/2023