Housing Support

Occupational Therapy

The Occupational Therapy service helps people of all ages, who have difficulty carrying out daily activities due to disability, illness or ageing.

Occupational therapy helps people participate in life; including looking after yourself and others, getting around your home, going to work or school, participating in leisure activities.

The following leaflets have more information on the service and how to contact us if you think occupational therapy can help you or someone you care for.

Occupational Therapy Service (download)

Living safely and independently

There are many things you can do to help stay safe and independent in your home. 

Aids and Equipment
Aids and equipment are widely available to help you maintain your independence at home and in the community. These can be found in high street shops, on the internet, or through specialist suppliers. See the following factsheets for more information:

Guide to Sourcing Equipment (download)  

Hiring Wheelchairs (download)

SHAPES (download)


Information and advice: 

AskSARA (opens new window) is a self-assessment tool that gives free advice on what aids and equipment best suit your needs and budget, based on answers you give about your health and abilities.

Disabled Living Foundation (DLF) (opens new window) have a number of downloadable factsheets giving general advice on daily living equipment

Living Made Easy (opens new window) also gives practical advice on daily living equipment.

Housing Adaptations
Making changes to your home can help you live more safely and independently. For more information go to Adaptations 

West Wales Care & Repair 
West Wales Care and Repair is a not for profit charitable organisation that provides a number of services to assist older and or disabled people remain in their own homes in comfort, safety and security. This includes a Handy Person service. For more information go to www.pembs-cr.co.uk/What-we-do  

To make a referral for an occupational therapy assessment please contact:
Contact Centre
Pembrokeshire County Council
County Hall
SA61 1TP

Tel: 01437 764551
Type Talk Tel: 18001 then 01437 764551
Fax: 01437 776699

Email: contactcentre@pembrokeshire.gov.uk

Out of hours emergency telephone number: 03003 332222

For any questions, information or advice please contact:
Email: dutyot@pembrokeshire.gov.uk

ID: 2483, revised 08/09/2017

Extra care

Extra care offers an alternative to residential care, with good quality apartments and a range of quality services such as a restaurant that caters lunches, which ensure that you can continue to live independently for as long as possible. 

For all housing enquiries please contact Pembrokeshire County Council on 01437 764551

ID: 2083, revised 23/01/2018

Adult placement

Adult placement is an alternative highly flexible form of accommodation and support.  It provides an opportunity to live or stay in an ordinary domestic setting as part of an Adult Placement Carer’s family.

Tel: 01267 224200 or visit www.westwaps.org.uk

ID: 2084, revised 23/01/2018

Moving into a residential home

If you think it’s time to think about moving into residential care then the free Welsh Assembly Government ‘Thinking about a care home - a guide to what you need to know’ publication gives information about what you need to consider.

If you are assessed as needing to move into residential care you may be eligible for help with the costs.

The guide is available at: www.wales.gov.uk  or call 029 2082 3683.

ID: 2085, revised 23/01/2018

Supporting People

Supporting People funds, monitors, and develops housing related support services for vulnerable people aged 16+. Housing related support, delivered by specialist service providers, helps people to live independently, to settle into a new home, or to continue living in their own home. Supporting People services can reduce and prevent homelessness, hospitalisation, loneliness and isolation, and institutional care.

What services do Supporting People fund?

  • Supported housing
  • Sheltered housing
  • Homeless hostel
  • Women’s refuge
  • Tenancy support in your home and in group homes

What support can be offered?

  • Information about other agencies that can help, including those providing education, work, volunteering and training
  • Access to warden / scheme managed accommodation
  • Help to settle into and maintain your home and to manage a tenancy
  • Help to manage finances, pay bills and get the most out of the money people earn
  • Support to develop living skills
  • Support to meet people and to join social activities
  • Support to move to safer / more appropriate accommodation
  • Help to increase your personal safety and security

How to Apply:
You will need to contact the service provider that you feel would best meet your needs. If you meet the admissions criteria and if there is space then you will be accepted onto the scheme. The Supporting People Directory of Services can help you to contact the service you need.

If you require any additional information please contact the team on:

Tel: 01437 774551
Email: supporting.people@pembrokeshire.gov.uk

Forms & Downloads:


Online Forms

For data collected 1st January - 30th June 2018

Outcomes Exit Questionnaire

ID: 2086, revised 01/02/2018

50+ Advice Project

The 50+ Advice Project is a free advice service from Shelter Cymru which offers advice on housing, benefits and money issues to people aged 50+. Surgeries are provided throughout Pembrokeshire, including Haverfordwest, Milford Haven, Pembroke Dock, Fishguard, St Davids and Tenby.

You can self refer or agencies can refer on your behalf by contacting Shelter Cymru on the project telephone number:
Tel: 01267 225936  Email fiftyplus@sheltercymru.org.uk

ID: 2087, revised 23/01/2018

Wales and West Housing Association


Available to: People 50 years of age and over living in Ceredigion and North of Pembrokeshire.

Service: Support and Advice

Contact: Ann Harris, 01239 712031 / 01239 712000 -  Ann.Harris@wwha.co.uk

This service is available regardless of the tenure; whether you rent or own your home.  Our Supported Housing Officers provide a much needed housing related support service and the type of support/assistance provided are: 

  • to manage the upkeep of your home
  • to access benefits
  • in getting involved in the community
  • at times of bereavement
  • to access care services
  • to set up alarm systems or assistive technology
  • with advice about other housing options
  • with accessing adaptations and equipment

This support and assistance service is: 

  • available to any older person living in any kind of tenure (owner occupier or living in rented accommodation).  We can also make visits to hospitals/residential homes if there is a need.
  • provided as long as is required; there is no time limit whilst support needs have been identified
  • conducted in both Welsh and English; whichever is the preferred language of the service user.
  • highly confidential.
  • free

Referrals for the service are taken from statutory services, self-referrals and voluntary sector agencies.  Support Officers will visit you at home to assess your needs and see what assistance can be provided. They will deliver housing related support to you until you are happy that your needs have been met. Support can be in your home or at a location of your choice such as a café or drop-in centre.


ID: 2088, revised 23/01/2018

Pembrokeshire Action for The Homeless (PATH)

PATH provides people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness with advice, assistance and advocacy to enable them to secure safe and affordable accommodation. They offer a range of services that can help people secure and/or maintain a tenancy, including resettlement packages, debt advice, crisis intervention, starter packs for rough sleepers or new tenants, bond schemes, travel warrant schemes and more.

Pembrokeshire Care Society, 1 Corner House, Barn Street, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire. SA61 1BW
Tel: 01437 765335 Freephone: 0800 783 5001 
e-mail: path@pembrokeshirecaresociety.org.uk

ID: 2089, revised 23/01/2018

Housing Support

Help from Pembrokeshire County Council housing department
The housing department can offer information and advice:

  • If you are homeless and/or want to apply for social housing
  • If you have an assessed care need housing officers will offer advice on a range of housing options
  • On Disabled Facilities Grants to help owners/occupiers or tenants to alter their home to make it easier to live in
  • On insulating, improving or maintaining your home
ID: 2064, revised 23/01/2018

Social housing

Affordable rented housing is provided by both the Council and housing associations.  To be eligible you must apply to join the Council’s Housing Register.  Forms are available from the Council and housing associations.

ID: 2071, revised 23/01/2018

Alternative housing options

Do you need help with your day to day activities in and around your home?

Such as:

  • Personal care - washing or toileting
  • Managing stairs/steps
  • Getting into and out of the bath or shower
  • Cooking
  • Rails to give you extra support in your home

There are a range of gadgets and equipment that can help many people achieve these activities independently. These include basic gadgets such as jar openers to larger equipment such as stairlifts. These can be purchased by you on-line or from local specialist shops - simply search on-line for ‘mobility aids Pembrokeshire' to find one local to you.

If you need advice on aids and adaptations so that you can continue to live safely and securely in your home, the following Agencies and Services may be able to help:


West Wales Care & Repair

If you are aged 60 or over and are a home owner or rent privately, the Agency can provide free advice and support to help you carry out necessary repairs and adaptations to your home. They will visit you in your own home to discuss what you need, the possible solutions, the likely costs and help identify sources of funding. They will also carry out a home safety check to ensure you are safe in your home i.e. by installing smoke alarms.

West Wales Care & Repair also deliver the Rapid Response Adaptation Programme (which is funded by the Welsh Government) providing repairs and small adaptations for people who are currently in hospital but require adaptations before they are discharged, or have recently been discharged from hospital, or are at risk of being admitted to hospital or into a Care Home.

Link to website: West Wales Care & Repair
Telephone: 01437 766717
E-mail: Care_Repair@pembs-ha.co.uk


Pembrokeshire County Council

If you think you may require larger adaptations because of your illness or disability you can request an Occupational Therapy assessment from Social Services.  The Occupational Therapist (OT) will visit you at home to carry out an assessment which will involve:

•·        Gathering information on your medical condition/disability

•·        A discussion on how you manage daily living tasks around your home

•·        The OT will need to observe you undertaking certain tasks to enable them to have a better understanding of your difficulties, so you will need to be home for the assessment. 

The OT will then recommend a solution to meet your needs. You will then be visited by a Grants Inspector who will look at the most appropriate way your home can be adapted.

If you are a home owner or a private tenant you may be entitled to a disabled facilities grant to help pay for the work. However these grants are means tested and you may need to undertake a financial assessment (unless the adaptation is for a child or young person under 19 which are exempt). We can provide support to you through the process. In 2015/16 the average time taken from first contacting the Council to when adaptation was completed was 314 days.

If you are a Council or Housing Association tenant you will still require an OT assessment, but in most cases you will not need to pay for the work or apply for a grant.

Where works are extensive and it is not cost effective to adapt your existing home, we will need to consider the option of assisting you to move to a more suitable property. This applies if you are a home owner, renting privately or a Council or Housing Association tenant.

To make a referral for an OT assessment please contact us: 
Tel: 01437 764551
Type Talk Tel: 18001 then 01437 764551
Fax: 01437 776699

Email: contactcentre@pembrokeshire.gov.uk

Out of hours emergency telephone number: 08708 509508

For more information on Occupational Therapy click here.

A guide to Housing Adaptations and Grants

Factsheet 1 - A guide to grants and adaptations for homeowners and private sector tenants

Factsheet 2 - A guide to grants and adaptations for Council tenants

ID: 2074, revised 24/01/2018

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is mainly for older people and usually takes the form of a group of small bungalows or flats with a warden who can give some help and support in an emergency. 

ID: 2079, revised 23/01/2018