COVID-19: Any specific information relating to Pembrokeshire will be updated at

Housing Benefit

Discretionary Housing Payments.

The Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) scheme can give you limited short term help paying your rent. 

Before we can give you a DHP:

  • You can only apply if you already receive Housing Benefit (HB) or the housing element is included in your Universal Credit (UC)
  • You must require additional help with your housing costs i.e. have a shortfall between your rent and benefit entitlement
  • You must have already spoken with your housing provider about your rent payments
  • The council must have sufficient funds available to cover the cost of your DHP.

You cannot use it for:

  • Ineligible service charges for HB
  • Increases in rent due to outstanding rent arrears
  • Sanctions and reductions in benefit
  • Council Tax support through the local Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

We take into account:

  • The shortfall between HB and the housing component of UC and the contractual rent
  • The income and expenditure of you and your household
  • Any savings or capital held by you or your household
  • Any steps taken to reduce your rental liability. For example, have you tried or are you actively seeking alternative cheaper accommodation
  • Any future changes in circumstances that will lead to an increase in HB entitlement or UC entitlement
  • Did you find out what your Local Housing Allowance would be before moving into the property?
  • Were you aware of any restrictions on HB as a result of under occupation?
  • Have you applied for all available sources of income available to you?
  • The level of debt and committed expenditure of you and your family.

How to apply



ID: 72, revised 29/09/2017