COVID-19: Any specific information relating to Pembrokeshire will be updated at or How to apply for a Covid-19 test,

Hearing problems

Hearing problems

Help from your doctor
If you are having problems with your hearing, go to your doctor as soon as possible.  Your doctor may:

  • Give you treatment particularly if there is a blockage or an infection
  • Refer you to a specialist for a more detailed examination – perhaps to the audiology department or to an ear, nose and throat consultant
  • Refer you to a hearing therapist who can give advice about living with hearing loss and making the most of your remaining hearing.
ID: 2138, revised 23/01/2018

Hearing aids

Your doctor can arrange for you to go to the hospital audiology department to be tested and fitted with a hearing aid free of charge.

Alternatively, you can be tested and buy a hearing aid from a private company at a commercial rate.  If you buy privately, check whether the company is registered under the Hearing Aid Council Act.

ID: 2139, revised 23/01/2018

Help from Adult Care

The Council has specialists who can give help and advice to those with hearing problems. This includes practical ideas and information about specialist organisations, classes and clubs that can offer you support.

ID: 2140, revised 23/01/2018

Specialist organisations

National Office, First Floor, Trinity Centre, Key Close, Whitechapel, London. E1 4HG
Tel: 020 7790 6147  
Fax: 020 7790 6147

Hearing Dogs for Deaf People
The Grange, Wycombe Road. Saunderton, Princess Risborough, Buckinghamshire, HP27 9NS
Tel: 01844 348 100 (voice and minicom)
Fax: 01844 348 101

Action on Hearing Loss
19 – 23 Featherstone Street, London EC1Y 8SL
Tel: 0808 808 0123
Textphone: 0808 808 9000

The Action on Hearing Loss catalogue offers special equipment. You can request a catalogue, download an online version from the website, or shop online.
Tel: 03330 144 525
Textphone: 0330 144 530

Deafblind people
People who have dual sensory loss or who are deafblind can contact Pembrokeshire County Council on 01437 764551 to get help, a specialist assessment and information about equipment. 

Deafblind UK
Deafblind UK Head Office, National Centre for Deafblindness, John & Lucille van Geest Place, Cygnet Road, Hampton, Peterborough, PE7 8FD
Tel: 01733 358100

Sense Cymru
Tŷ Penderyn, 26 High St, Merthyr Tydfil, CF47 8DP
Tel: 0300 330 9282 Textphone: 0300 330 9282

A- Z to Deafblindness

ID: 2141, revised 23/01/2018