Myths and facts about suicide
- There’s no turning back – suicide is final.
- There’s no choice after death, so ‘choose life’.
- Sometimes the person who attempts suicide does not die but damages their body so badly that full recovery is impossible.
- There is no coming back. There are no second chances.
- You can’t be dead just for a little while then come back to have tea with your mum.
- You can’t just try it and expect everything to be okay. It’s a very fine line between life and death, often less than 30 seconds.
- The effect of suicide on family and friends can be overwhelming. Suicide is the most difficult for those who are left behind to cope with.
- You have prevented other people from helping you forever.
- You will never be around to help other people who may be feeling just as bad as you have felt.
- Many suicides can be prevented. It is not the inevitable outcome for a distressed young person going through a difficult time.
For more information or support regarding any issues with suicide please click on the link below :
Suicide – NHS choices