Health and Safety
Role and functions of the Health and Safety Team
Health and safety legislation is enforced by inspectors from the national Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and by inspectors from the Local Authority.
Pembrokeshire County Council has health and safety enforcement responsibilities for certain premises and work activities, as determined by the main activity of the workplace. See Local Authority and HSE
The role of Pembrokeshire County Council, as a health and safety enforcing authority, is to ensure that duty holders manage and control risks effectively, thus preventing harm. The work of the service is set out in an annual Health and Safety service plan Appendix 1 Appendix 2
If we need to take enforcement action we follow our Health and Safety Enforcement Policy
The main functions undertaken by the team are:
- The inspection of high risk local authority enforced workplaces across the county.
- The investigation of reportable accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences.
- Responding to enquiries and requests for advice.
- Responding to complaints from the public and employees concerning health and safety standards in local authority enforced workplaces.
- The provision of advice and training to public and employers in relation to health and safety issues and licensing.
- Planned special interventions, surveys and enforcement initiatives.
In addition to health and safety regulation, the Team is responsible for a range of related public protection functions. These include:
- Enforcing the smoking ban in enclosed/substantially enclosed public places, vehicles and workplaces.
- The licensing and inspection of caravan and camping sites.
- The licensing and inspection of petroleum sites.
- The licensing and registration of explosive stores.
- The registration of poison stores.
- Enforcing the Sunbed (Regulation) Act 2010 and Sunbed (Regulation) Act 2010 (Wales) Regulations 2011, which prohibit the use of sunbeds on commercial premises by people under the age of 18, and require the provision of health warnings, advice and certain health protection measures.
- Fulfilling a role as a statutory consultee, having regard to certain matters of ‘public safety', under the Licensing Act 2003.
For further information contact:
Health and Safety Team,
Public Protection Division,
Pembrokeshire County Council,
Tel: 01437 775179