The Harbour in Lower Town Fishguard
The combined towns of Fishguard and Goodwick are on the North of Pembrokeshire and each has it's own harbour. The older harbour at Lower Town Fishguard is owned and operated by Pembrokeshire County Council.
This area is regarded for it's rugged coastal scenery and coastal walks; the Marine Walk joins Goodwick and Lower Town via the coast, sheltered by the main breakwater. This walk has elevated views of both harbours.
For small comfortable market towns they are rich in history, being held to ransom by the privateer Black Prince in 1779 and the subject of the last invasion of Great Britain by the French in February 1797.
Fishguard Town crowns the summit of a hill commanding beautiful marine views of both harbours and distant views north easterly past Dinas Head to Cemaes Head at the Northern extremity of Pembrokeshire which marks the entrance into the Teifi Estuary, leading to the town of Cardigan.
Lower Town Harbour is by far the older of the two harbours. The building of Fishguard Harbour began in 1894 and was completed 1906 for the Irish ferry trade and in 1907 began the transatlantic trade to New York via the luxury liner RMS Mauretania.
At Lower Town Fishguard Bay Yacht Club, has an active youth sailing programme and arranges annual sailing events.
The T S Skirmisher Sea Cadet unit enjoy what is possibly one of the most picturesque and active water borne units in Wales. Sea kayaking from the sheltered waters of the harbour is also a popular pastime.
Along with Kayaking and Paddle Boarding, boat trips for dolphin watching are available. There is also a local Pembrokeshire Longboat association and the family pursuit of "crabbing" always proves to be a popular draw. It is often difficult to perceive who derives the greatest enjoyment from "crabbing", children or their parents!
The harbour has easy access with generous parking adjacent to Bridge Street.
Mooring enquiries for Lower Town Harbour
For any enquiries regarding moorings please contact the Harbour Master on 01834-842717 or 07812 559482 or e-mail: email@example.com
The outer part of Lower Town harbour has short stay visitor moorings for vessels able to take the ground during Spring tides
- Paddle Boarding
- Dolphin watching
Information on the above can be found on Visit Pembrokeshire or by contacting the harbour directly.
Lower Town Fishguard Harbour:
Phone: 01834 842717 Mobile: 07812 559482 (Chris Salisbury)
How to find us:
By Car: postcode for sat nav users. SA65 9NB
Directions from the Midlands and the north of England
Take the M5 south to Junction 8, immediately past Strensham Services onto the M50
Travel the length of the M50, to Junction 4 near to Ross-on-Wye and take the A40 towards Monmouth.
7 miles past Monmouth, take the turning to Raglan and Abergavenny (NB - this is still the A40)
Carry on to the A465, signposted Merthyr Tydfil, Neath and Swansea.
The A465 will join the M4 at Junction 43, where you can follow the remaining directions below.
Directions from London, Cardiff and Swansea
Take the M4 West to Junction 49, and then the A48 towards Carmarthen.
On arriving in Carmarthen, turn left at the second roundabout onto the A40, signposted St Clears.
From St Clears, continue on the A40, Haverfordwest, A40 Fishguard. At the roundabout in the centre of Fishguard follow the A487 down the hill to Lower Town and its harbour.