Grants for School Uniform
From July 2018 the Welsh Government introduced a new scheme called the Pupil Development Grant – Access. The grant is available to pupils who are eligible for free school meals or are looked after entering:
- reception class of maintained primary schools in September 2018;
- year 7 of maintained secondary schools in September 2018; or
- Pupils in special schools, special needs resource bases and pupil referral units who are aged 4 or aged 11 in September 2018.
Pupils in receipt of Free School Meals (on or after 1st July 2018) are entitled to a grant of up to £125.00 towards the cost of:
- School uniform including coats and shoes.
- School sports kit including footwear.
- Uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, scouts; guides; cadets; martial arts; sports; performing arts or dance.
- Equipment e.g. school bags and stationery.
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology.
- Equipment for out of school hour’s trips such as outdoor learning e.g. waterproofs
If your child is in year 7 and does not receive Free School Meals or is in years 8-11 then you may still be entitled to a discretionary grant from Pembrokeshire County Council if you receive one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Job Seeker’s Allowance (Income-Based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income-Related)
- Working Tax Credit
- Pension Credit (Guaranteed Credit)
Applications for this grant will not be accepted after 31st May 2019.
Please contact Pembrokeshire County Council, Pupil Support Services, Practice Support Team, County Hall, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, SA61 1TP. Tel. 01437 764551 ext. 5813