COVID-19: Any specific information relating to Pembrokeshire will be updated at or How to apply for a Covid-19 test,

Emergency Planning

Service Changes

Customer Contact Centre and Customer Service Centres 

Our CUSTOMER CONTACT CENTRE is currently open from 9am - 5pm Monday - Friday to deal with all general enquiries.  Please contact us on 01437 764551 or

Our CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTRES in North Wing, County Hall, Haverfordwest and Argyle Street, Pembroke Dock are currently CLOSED

We do not have a planned date for the re-opening of our Customer Service Centres at present.

Payment of Council Bills

Are you a cash payer currently using a Customer Service Centre to pay your Council Bills? We are committed to supporting you make alternative payment arrangements and we would encourage you to choose one of the payment options below to pay council bills.

1.    Set up a Direct Debit

Direct debit is a simple, convenient and safe way of paying bills. You can set up a Direct Debit to pay your Council Tax online at To set up a Direct Debit for Council Tax or another Council bill over the phone contact Revenue Services on 01437 764551. You will need to be the bill payer and have your bank account details to hand

2.    Pay Online

Paying online is quick, safe and secure and is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. To pay council bills online visit

As an online payer you can check your account balance, view your next payment date and set up payment reminders so you’ll never miss a payment

3.    Call our Automated Telephone Payment Line

Call our payment line on 01437 775164. This is an automated service, available 24 hours, 7 days a week

4.    Speak to us on the Phone

Call our Contact Centre on 01437 764551 to pay using a credit or debit card

If you are only able to pay for your bills in cash let us know as soon as possible so we can make alternative arrangements for you

Waste and Recycling Services 

Our WASTE AND RECYCLING CENTRES at Waterloo, Winsel, Manorowen, St David's, Hermon and Crane Cross are open on the winter timetable. If you wish to take waste and recycling to one of the centres, please follow instructions on our Waste & Recycling Centre page 

Our HOUSEHOLD WASTE AND RECYCLING COLLECTIONS are currently continuing as normal. You can find out more about collection arrangements for your property by typing your postcode into the Search for Your Bin Day box on our Waste and Recycling page or logging on to your My Account

Please help our collection crews by minimising the amount of household waste you create. With pressure on services and Waste and Recycling Centre’s temporarily closed please avoid doing any big clear outs at home or undertaking any DIY or garden projects which are likely to generate large amounts of waste.

Please do not burn household waste at home. This creates air pollution that could harm people nearby who may already have breathing difficulties due to COVID-19. There is also the danger that fires could get out of control. Fire services around the country are reporting an increase in callouts due to garden fires.

Remember to recycle as much you can by following guidance on our website and by condensing it down as much as possible.  

Schools and Childcare Settings 


Children and Schools – Transition to the new normal. Find out more here

Car Parks, Public Toilets and Bus Services 


Council managed public car parks are OPEN


Public toilets managed and maintained by Pembrokeshire County Council are running on winter hours 

Of the 68 toilets, 12 will close for the winter.

The toilets that will close for winter are:


Amroth East                                                 

Broad Haven North Car Park                    


Cwm yr Eglwys                                           

Llanstadwell Hazelbeach                         

Newgale South                                          

Nolton Haven                                                                                                    

Tenby North Beach                                    

The Rath Milford Haven                            

St Davids Quickwell Car Park                           

St Ishmaels

All other toilets remain open.

More information on public toilets in Pembrokeshire is available at Public Toilets Map  



We have made changes to many bus services. You can find more information about this here

Please note that we will keep timetable information on our website up-to-date but it has not been possible to update the information displayed at all bus stops.

Leisure Centres and Libraries 


For further information please see Libraries Re-Opening


Pembrokeshire Leisure Centres are OPEN

For further information please see

Registration Services, Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Cemeteries & Pembrokeshire Archives 


Please do not visit the Register Office without an appointment as it remains closed to the general public. 

Birth and death registration appointments

Death registration appointments continue to be conducted by telephone and you can make an appointment either through your funeral director, by emailing or by telephoning 01437 775176. Please provide the name of the deceased and a daytime phone number if emailing.

Birth registration appointments for babies born in Pembrokeshire will require a short face to face meeting and can be made via the above email address or telephone number. 

Babies born in Carmarthenshire (e.g. Glangwili General Hospital) can be registered with Carmarthenshire Register Office, there is an online booking system available at or telephone 01267 228210.

Marriage and Civil Partnership Ceremonies

Welsh Government coronavirus regulations permit marriages and civil partnerships to take place and Register Offices, Places of Worship and Approved Premises are able to open for this purpose at all coronavirus alert levels, subject to the need to take all reasonable measures to minimise the risk of spreading the virus on the premises. You will need to check with the Registration Service regarding limitations on numbers who can attend. Licenced ‘approved premises’ are required to close for all purposes under level 4 restrictions and may have restrictions on opening times and numbers who can attend at other levels.

All couples will be contacted by the Registration Service prior to their ceremony with further guidance. To contact the Registration Service in relation to new or existing bookings, please email

If you are resident in Pembrokeshire and require an appointment to give notice of marriage or civil partnership for a ceremony taking place in the next three months, please email with contact details and the date and time of your ceremony.  If you are a foreign national and need to give notice in a Designated Register Office we are also able to offer an appointment if you are resident in Carmarthenshire or Ceredigion or have a ceremony booked in Pembrokeshire.

Copy Certificates

Applications for copy certificates can be made online here or via phone on 01437 775176.


Parc Gwyn Crematorium office and Chapel of Remembrance are currently CLOSED to the general public. The grounds are OPEN from 10am - 5pm but visitors are asked to observe social distancing guidance. Funerals – Welsh Government revised guidance states that attendance at funerals may, ‘Include the person arranging the funeral and anyone invited by that person (or any carer of any of those persons)’. Please note the number of mourners attending funerals at Parc Gwyn is currently limited to 12.


Our cemeteries are currently OPEN to the general public but visitors are asked to observe social distancing guidance. These are: Rosemarket, Llangwm, Freystrop, St Ishmael's, City Road Haverfordwest, Nolton Haven, Llanfair Nant-y-Gof (Trecwn), Llanwnda, Llanion Pembroke Dock, Monkton and St Michael's Pembroke. Funerals – Welsh Government revised guidance states that attendance at funerals may, ‘Include the person arranging the funeral and anyone invited by that person (or any carer of any of those persons)’. Please note the number of mourners attending funerals at Council cemeteries is currently limited to 12.


The Pembrokeshire Archives and Local Studies is currently CLOSED

Scolton Manor, Parks and Rights of Way 


Scolton Manor is OPEN with its winter seasonal opening times (which normally comes into force from 1 November each year).

The grounds and outdoor play areas will remain open in line with government guidance.

PLAY PARKS - play parks managed by Pembrokeshire County Council are OPEN


Users are, however, reminded to respect social distancing guidance and stay 2 metres away from other people and animals. Dog owners are advised to keep their pets on leads. 

Housing Services 


The Choice Homes Advert has re-opened. Find out more here 


Staff are available to give advice and assistance over the phone to those who may be at risk of becoming homeless in the near future. Please call 01437 764551 or email 


The housing department will continue to provide advice and support to tenants by telephone for emergency tenancy issues only. Housing staff are also asking tenants to let them know if they are in self-isolation or displaying any symptoms so that we can ensure staff safety in the event of an emergency. Please call 01437 764551 or email


Our Maintenance teams are working hard to make sure we can respond to emergency repairs only, which should be reported as normal. All other repairs that involve social contact have been suspended. All customers reporting repairs are asked to inform the department if they are self-isolating or showing symptoms of the virus, so that staff and customers alike can be protected

County Hall and the Bridge Innovation Centre 

COUNTY HALL is currently CLOSED to the general public



ID: 6195, revised 12/04/2021


Be Aware

Find out about the Council's response

Flood & Weather Warnings

How can I be better prepared?

Advice for members of the public during a flood

Advice for residents/businesses after a flood

Local Flood Risk Management Strategy

Be Aware

If you live in a river flood area your property may be at risk of flooding from severe weather events. If you live near the coast, there is always a possibility that a combination of high tides and bad weather will threaten your property. Even if you live inland, recent storm events have shown that the drainage system is simply overwhelmed by the amount of water it is expected to carry, therefore flooding can occur from surface water, field run off, etc. 

What we are doing?

The Council will aim to:-

  • Provide advice and guidance to residents, who may be affected by the event, on ways to alleviate the risk of flooding to their properties.
  • Have engineers and maintenance workers on duty to provide immediate support at key locations and ensure that defences and drainage system are inspected, maintained and works carried out at earliest opportunity 
  • Maintain and clear road networks impacted by severe weather
  • If necessary, assist in the evacuation of residents and the provision of temporary accommodation through rest centres
  • Respond to requests for emergency assistance from the public based on priorities and also on the availability of resources, if safe to do so.
  • Work with multi agency partners to minimise the impact of flooding and storms on the communities in Pembrokeshire and ensure the continuity of key services

At times of emergency, the Council will endeavour to protect the public at large and will not be able to assist a large number of individual homeowners who may find their properties threatened.  See advice on how to be better prepared.

Flood Alerts & Warnings

Natural Resources Wales work with the Met Office to provide warnings to those at risks of flooding.

You can call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 any time night or day for real-time flood warnings and advice, including registration to the Flood Warning Services.

The free service provides flood warnings direct to you by telephone, mobile, fax or pager. You'll also get practical advice on preparing for a flood, and what to do if one happens.

Alternatively, check current flood warnings in place on NRW website

Severe weather warnings can be viewed on the Met Office website

Natural Resources Wales cannot give residents warning of surface water flooding but you can find out about the possibility of this type of flooding by checking local weather forecasts.

How can I be better prepared?

1 in 6 properties in Wales is at risk of flooding. Floods can happen anywhere at any time. Make sure you know how to be prepared and what to do when a flood happens.

Responsibility for the prevention of flooding and protection of property lies with the individual owners/tenants. Residents of Pembrokeshire should not rely on the Council to respond to a threat of flooding to their property but should have in place their own flood protection plan as detailed in Natural Resources Wales guidance, especially those who live in identified flood risk areas. Here is some generic guidance:

Before flooding happens:

  • Register for flood alerts, check flood warnings in force and keep an eye on weather forecast and warning 
  • Make a flood plan and ensure important items are not stored downstairs
  • Prepare your house or business for flooding. If you require sandbags, please contact local builders' merchants for stocks of sand and bags. You can also find suppliers of modern non-sand bags designed for flooding on the National Flood Forum Blue Pages Directory. It is the homeowner responsibility to protect their properties.
  • Keep drains and gullies on your property clear of blockages, leaves, etc...
  • Check on your neighbours and vulnerable members of your community

The National Flood Forum is a national charity dedicated to supporting and representing communities and individuals at risk of flooding. For more information, visit their website or phone 01299 403055.

Flood Resilient Homes Case Studies

What to do during a flood?

In the event of a flood it is important to focus on the safety of you and your family. 

  • Switch off electricity / gas supplies
  • Fit flood protection equipment: flood gates, sandbags, toilet bungs (downstairs only)
  • Move furniture, pets and important items to safety
  • Switch on local radio
  • Contact the Council to report flooded roads and properties
  • Contact 999 if you require emergency assistance  

If flooding has occurred:-

  • Remember that flood water is dangerous and can be contaminated
  • Be mindful that surface water flooding can occur anywhere
  • Avoid travelling or if essential, check traffic updates and road condition before starting your journey
  • Follow evacuation advice from emergency responders

What to do after a flood?

Here is some advice on how to clear up your home or business after a flood and deal with insurance claim.

  • If you were evacuated from your property, only return if you have been told it is safe to do so
  • When clearing after flood, always wear waterproof and protective clothing
  • Contact your building and content insurance or your landlord as soon as possible
  • If you do not have insurance, contact the Council to obtain details of grants or contact PAVS to get details of charities that may be able to help you.
  • Ensure a qualified person/engineer checks your gas and electricity before switching it back on
  • If you are drying your property naturally, keep doors and windows open as much as possible. If using dehumidifiers, close external doors and windows. Dehumidifiers can be hired at hire premises.
  • You can clean and disinfect your property using ordinary household products. If you are a food premises, contact the Local Authority Food Safety team for advice.

Please note that the disposal of sandbags becomes the responsibility of the homeowner. Gloves should be worn in case of contact with contaminated water.

ID: 174, revised 31/07/2019


While evacuation is generally considered to be a last resort, evacuations are more common than you may think. A gas leak may cause the emergency services to evacuate a whole street.

Not all evacuations are long term, sometimes you can return after a few hours, however, in a chemical incident, your house may not be habitable and you would have to be re-housed while decontamination is carried out.

Be prepared for an evacuation:

  • Discuss with your family what you would do in the event of an evacuation
  • Plan a place to meet your family in case you are separated during an emergency
  • Assemble an emergency supply kit including essential items, e.g. prescription medicine, baby items (if applicable), toiletries, phone numbers, radio etc
  • Know how to shut off your home's electricity, gas and water supplies at main switches and valves and have the necessary tools to hand

If you are advised to evacuate:

  • Respond to the instructions from the emergency services. They will inform you, tell you what to do and where to go
  • Use whatever transport is made available
  • Report to any named location where further advice will be available
  • Make sure you have warm clothing
  • Get together any special food for babies and medicines in use
  • Turn off electricity, gas and water supplies
  • Close and lock windows and doors when you leave
  • Make sure you have a secure carrier or leash for any pets

More advice can be found at:

ID: 175, revised 22/09/2017

Severe weather

Did you know you can now get an update of the bridge status via e-mail or by texting ‘bridge' to 80039?

To receive an E-mail, follow the instructions below:-

1. Create an online account

2. Login to your account and click the "My Services" icon.

3. Then click, ‘Bridge Closure Notifications'

NOTE: If you choose to send a text ‘bridge' to 80039, you will be charged the standard network rate.

Within Pembrokeshire there have been a number of incidents/emergencies that are beyond human control, mainly due to sever weather. There is nothing we can do to stop severe weather but we can be prepared for it.

At times we may experience the following:

  • Gales and storms - damage to buildings and trees, risk to high-sided vehicles and other traffic, vehicle collisions, utility and telephony failure
  • Heavy snow - roads and streets impassable, increased journey times, hampered delivery of essential services and supplies, vehicles abandoned, vehicle collisions, utility and telephony failure
  • Heavy rain - flooding, hazardous driving conditions, power surges
  • Fog - increased journey times, vehicle collisions
  • Low temperatures, ice - dangerous roads and pavements, vehicle collisions, utility and telephony failure, increased risk to vulnerable people
  • Heatwave - exhaustion and heat stroke, increased risk to vulnerable people

During times of severe weather Pembrokeshire County Council will do whatever is possible to alleviate the situation.  For example, providing advice and information, gritting and snow clearance, flood response, dealing with dangerous buildings, perhaps opening rest centers, maintaining home care, closing schools if necessary, checking and clearing drains and culverts, as well as continuing to provide, as far as is practicable, its other everyday services. 

However, it is the precautions and actions we take as individuals, prior to and during severe weather, that will have the biggest effect on how well we cope with it, or how badly it affects us, for example by:

  • Keeping properties in good repair, adequately insulated and lagged
  • Keeping drains and gullies clear of blockages, leaves etc.
  • Checking that you are adequately insured
  • Actively checking weather forecasts and warnings
  • Keeping in stock some basic provisions, including a torch etc.
  • Avoiding, where possible, the use of cars etc., when road conditions are treacherous
  • Being a ‘good neighbour' and checking on vulnerable people in your neighbourhood
  • Using ‘common sense'


There are three main types of flooding that affect Pembrokeshire

  1. Tidal - affecting coastal areas, estuaries and tidal stretches of river
  2. Fluvial - river levels rising to an extent where they over top banks or defenses
  3. Surface Water - heavy rain possibly coupled with blocked culverts and overloading of drains

Although tidal and fluvial flooding can be predicted, most properties can be affected by sudden downpours causing flooding.

For the current flooding situation in Wales

  • Visit the Natural resources Wales website (updated every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).
  • Call them on 0345 988 1188 Reporting Flooded Roads or Footpaths

To check if you are at risk of flooding please click on the link below:

Natural Resources Wales

Be prepared for flooding

The following guides contain lots of information and practical advice on what to do before, during and after flooding. We want you to be prepared for flooding, know how to protect yourselves and your property, and stay safe in a flood  

Natural Resources Wales also offers comprehensive information about how to protect your property from flooding and how to create a flood plan.

To report a flooded road or footpath (e.g. due to a blocked drain)

  • Contact your Highways Maintenance Area Office on 01437 764551

Please bear in mind that when there is particularly heavy rain, during a thunderstorm for example, roads and footpaths can get flooded temporarily. It is not usually necessary to report this.

Severe winter weather

There can be dangers if you are caught in a snowstorm. However, you can protect yourself, your car and your household from the many hazards of winter by planning ahead.

Winter driving

  • Each winter the Council plans which roads will be gritted when ice and snow are forecast
  • Always check the weather forecast before starting your trip
  • Ask the question ‘Is my journey necessary?', if not, then don't travel. If it is, plan your journey using the primary route road network
  • Find out if you can use public transport
  • Allow extra time for your journey
  • Clear the windows before setting off
  • Ensure your vehicle has suitable anti-freeze added to its radiator and low-freezing screen-wash to the washer bottle
  • Ensure that your vehicle is in good working order - wash all lights and indicators frequently
  • In cold conditions always drive with extra care and never assume that a road has been gritted
  • Tune into your local radio station for regular travel news updates
  • Use dipped headlights when driving in rain, fog or snow
  • Always keep plenty of fuel in your tank

Keep an emergency supply kit in your car, which includes:

  • Suitable winter clothes and footwear and a blanket or sleeping bag
  • Mobile phone, radio, torch and extra batteries
  • Shovel and windscreen scraper
  • Water and snacks
  • Tow chain or rope
  • Jump leads

If you get stuck in a winter storm in a remote area:

  • Pull off the road. Turn on hazard lights and hang a distress flag from the radio aerial or window
  • Remain in your vehicle. Only leave the car if there are buildings nearby where you know you can take shelter. Distances are distorted by drifting snow - a building may seem close but may be too far to walk in deep snow
  • Run the engine and heater for about 10 minutes each hour to keep warm. When the engine is running, open a window slightly to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Periodically clear snow from the exhaust pipe
  • Move around to maintain body heat, but avoid over-exertion
  • Huddle with passengers
  • Make sure that someone in the car stays awake to keep an eye out for rescue teams
  • Drink fluids to avoid dehydration
  • Don't waste battery power

Make sure your home is safe for winter

Prepare to survive in your home on your own, without outside help, for at least three days. A home emergency supply kit will help in this eventuality. If your house is in a remote area:

  • Ensure that you have sufficient heating fuel for your house. Arrange that you have alternative heating equipment plus sufficient fuel for it in case the electricity supply is cut off
  • Maintain ventilation when using kerosene heaters to avoid a build-up of toxic fumes.  Keep fire extinguishers to hand and make sure everyone in the house knows how to use them
  • Listen to the local radio or television for weather reports and emergency information
  • Eat regularly and drink ample fluids (avoid caffeine and alcohol)
  • Dress appropriately. Several layers of light loose fitting clothing are better than one thick layer. The outer layer should be water repellent. Mittens are warmer than gloves. Always wear a hat as most body heat is lost through the head
  • Watch out for signs of frostbite: loss of feeling in extremities with a white or pale appearance. If symptoms are detected, get medical help immediately
  • Watch out for signs of hypothermia: uncontrollable shivering, memory loss, disorientation, incoherence, slurred speech, drowsiness and apparent exhaustion. If symptoms are detected, move the person to a warm location, remove any wet clothing, warm the body from inside first by giving them a warm non-alcoholic drink (if conscious). Get medical help immediately
  • Regularly check up on family and friends who are vulnerable, such as the elderly


ID: 176, revised 07/11/2017

Industrial accidents

The 2015 the Control of Major Accident Hazards Regulations (COMAH) aim to prevent major accidents involving dangerous substances and limit the consequences to people and the environment of any which do occur.

The COMAH Regulations give detailed advice about the scope of, and the duties imposed by the legislation to the operators of such establishments, the emergency services and the Local Authorities. A key feature of the COMAH Regulations is that they are enforced by a Competent Authority, which comprises of the Health & Safety Executive and the Environment Agency.

COMAH establishments are graded by the Competent Authority as either upper-tier or lower-tier dependant on the quantities and types of substances they produce and/or store.

The COMAH Regulations 2015 place a duty on Local Authority in whose administrative area an upper establishment is situated to prepare an external emergency plan specifying the measures to be taken outside the establishment in the event of a major accident.

The COMAH Regulations require that the Operator of a top-tier establishment produces two plans:

  1. An On-site Emergency Plan, which is prepared by the operator, to specify the response to an emergency which may affect those who work on the site.
  2. An Eexternal Emergency Plan, which has to be prepared by the Local Authority, which specifies the co-ordinated response of partner agencies to an emergency which has any off-site effects.

Currently we have 5 top tier sites located in Pembrokeshire these being:

  • Puma - Milford Haven
  • Valero - Pembroke
  • Valero Pembrokeshire Oil Terminal - Waterston
  • Dragon LNG - Waterston
  • South Hook LNG - Herbranston

All of these sites have on-site and external site plans, with the plans being tested and exercised every three years.

ID: 177, revised 09/07/2019

Community Risk Register

Emergencies are obviously something all of us hope will never happen, but if one were to occur here in Pembrokeshire we want to be as well prepared as we can be.

To help us decide where we should concentrate our efforts in emergency planning terms it is important that we continue to assess the potential risks to our County.

The importance of risk assessment is emphasised by the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 (CCA).

The CCA places a legal duty on Category 1 responders (these include the police, fire, ambulance, health, Maritime and Coastguard Agency, and Local Authorities) to undertake risk assessments and maintain them in a Community Risk Register (CCR).

Risks in this context are those things that could result in major consequences for our County. If something is categorised as a very high risk on the register it does not mean that it is very likely to happen. It means that, because of its potential consequences, it needs to be treated as a very high priority.

The Community Risk Register is the first step in an emergency planning process and it will help us and our partners ensures that the plans we develop are proportionate to the risk and ultimately help us to help you.

Civil Contingencies (opens new window)

ID: 178, revised 09/07/2019

Emergency plans and procedures

As an Authority we are required to prepare plans and procedures to help us to respond to an incident or emergency in an effective manner.

We also have to work with multi agency partners to prepare and plan for the response and recovery to a range of incidents ensuring a co-ordinated and effective response.

Multi Agency and Internal plans are reviewed, exercised and tested on a regular basis, ensuring that Local Authority staff are aware of their roles, responsibilities and actions if/when an emergency occurs. 


ID: 179, revised 13/10/2017

Business continuity

The Civil Contingencies Act 2004 places a duty upon Local Authorities to put in place Business Continuity Management arrangements and to promote business continuity to businesses, in particular small and medium enterprises, and voluntary organisations.

Business Continuity Management (BCM) is a process that helps mitigate the risks of an incident, disaster, disruption or emergency. It means planning to ensure the smooth running of an organisation, or delivery of a service in the event of a disruption.

This could include one or more of the following:

  • Loss of a major building or facility e.g. fire, storm damage
  • Large staff absences e.g. epidemic/pandemic
  • Severe Weather e.g. snow, flooding
  • Loss of utilities e.g. electricity, gas, water, telephones, IT (Information Technology)
  • Major industrial incident e.g. major fire, release of chemicals

Did you know?

  • About 20% of businesses suffer a significant disruption each year
  • 58% of UK businesses report that they were disrupted as a result of September 11th with one in eight severely affected
  • 80% of businesses affected by a major incident do not re-open or close within 18 months
  • 90% of businesses that lose data from a disaster are forced to shut within two years

Why do you need a business continuity plan?

Experience has shown that organisations with business continuity arrangements in place are more likely to stay in business and recover quickly in the event of an emergency than those who do not. It is not only the major emergencies that disrupt organisations; a wide range of day-to-day disruptions can threaten the smooth running of an organisation.

Developing a business continuity plan will assist you to manage your risks to ensure that, at all times, your organisation can continue operating to at least a pre-determined minimum level. This will enable you to continue service delivery during and beyond a crisis.

Attached is a link to HM Government website - ‘Preparing for Emergencies', which has useful advice on business continuity. The website exists to provide information to the public, businesses and voluntary/community groups on the risks and what to do if an incident occurs.

Preparing for Emergencies (opens new window)

In addition, the emergency planning unit has created a template plan for your business.


If you require further assistance or wish to discuss any particular issues concerning business continuity, you can contact our Business Continuity Team.

Paul Eades - Risk Manager Tel: 01437 776291

Or the Emergency Planning Dept Tel: 01437 775661

ID: 180, revised 13/10/2017

Community Resilience

What is community resilience?

Community resilience is about communities and individuals harnessing local resources and expertise to help themselves in an emergency, in a way that complements the response of the emergency services.

Why is community resilience important?

Emergencies happen, preparing yourself and your family will make it easier to recover from the impacts of an emergency.

Being aware of the risks you might face, and who in your community might need your help, could make your community better prepared to cope with an emergency.

Local emergency responders will always have to prioritise those in greatest need during an emergency, especially where life is in danger. During these times, you need to know how to help yourself and those around you.

Principles of Community Resilience

Communities are self selecting

Communities need to act in support of the Emergency services

It is done by the people not to the people

Communities need to use local knowledge and existing networks

Communities need to raise the awareness of the risks

Benefits of Community Resilience

  • Communities can minimise the impact of an emergency and therefore potential damage to person or property.
  • Communities can be quicker to recover following an emergency
  • The community will have structured communication networks
  • Community members tend to have a "can do" attitude and "muck in"
  • Members of the community often know what actions need to be taken to help reduce the impact of a specific problem.
  • They feel that the actions taken are specific to their needs and not imposed on them from the outside.
  • The communities tend to continue to work together when the emergency has passed, making improvements or maintaining local facilities etc.
  • The communities tend to look to themselves for answers and problem solving, not wait or look to outside agencies.
  • People within the community are better able to understand the roles of outside agencies in an emergency and therefore communicate their needs and priorities

Resilient Community Features

Resilient Communities usually have the following features:

  • Aware of risks and awareness of vulnerable people
  • Have a community champion
  • Have a community emergency group who are able to influence decision making in the interest of the community
  • Strive towards partnership working
  • Have a community emergency plan
  • People within the community are prepared to use ordinary skills in extraordinary circumstances

For more information contact: Emergency Planning Office on 01437 775661 or


DirectGov - Preparing for Emergencies

Cabinet Office UK Resilience

Emergency Planning Society

Informed Prepared Together

Community Risk Registers

National Risk Register

Disaster Action

ID: 181, revised 13/10/2017

What to do in an emergency

Pembrokeshire County Council along with multi agency responder agencies have produced a community risk register to help you understand the type of emergencies that can affect you and guide you in preparing for and responding to an incident/emergency.

Public Spaces Protection Orders

In addition to this it may be helpful to write your own emergency plan

  • The emergency services and the Council prepare generic plans in preparation for possible emergencies. You can do the same for your home

How to write an emergency plan

  • Start by looking around you and consider which possible incidents may affect you. Is there a risk of flooding? Do you live near a chemical or nuclear installation? Don't forget the possibility of house fires
  • Discuss how you would respond to possible incidents with everyone in the household
  • Plan how you would stay in touch if you were separated. Identify two meeting places: the first should be near your home and the second should be away from your neighbourhood in case you cannot return home. Agree on a friend or relative who lives outside the area that you can call to say you're safe
  • Place a list of emergency numbers by each telephone in the house. Teach children how and when to phone 999
  • Put together a pack, which includes the details of insurance companies, banks, car registrations etc. Ask a friend or relative to keep a copy for you
  • If you are disabled keep extra supplies of items you may need such as extra wheelchair batteries, oxygen, catheters, medication, food for guide or hearing dogs etc
  • Be aware who in your neighbourhood or building is disabled so that you can assist them during an emergency

Preparing an Emergency Kit

During an emergency, emergency services that cover a widespread area may not be able to reach you immediately.  There may be a possibility that you will have to fend for yourself for some time.  Being prepared will help. Having a stock of food, emergency supplies and preparing to cope if you lose your power, gas and/or water supply may prove vital

Some useful tips on what you should store in preparation for such an event are listen in the Ready to Respond leaflet above.

In an emergency

Follow the advice you are given by the emergency services. You may be told to:

  • Stay indoors and close doors, windows, kitchen fans, etc
  • Listen to local radio/media for further information
  • Keep telephone calls to a minimum to avoid overloading the system
ID: 173, revised 06/11/2018