Driving yourself

Driving yourself

Driver Refresher Course 

If you are aged 65+, drive regularly, and wish to update your driving skills and improve your confidence, we offer driver refresher courses free of charge.

‘Drive for Life’ is a one day refresher course held in Haverfordwest. The course includes classroom based learning and a practical driving session with an approved driving instructor. It is a voluntary course and there is no assessment or test. Instructors can cover any aspects of driving that you would like to refresh, such as parallel parking, roundabouts or general safer driving techniques.

For more information contact Road Safety on 01437 775144 or email road.safety@pembrokeshire.gov.uk

Motability Scheme

If you receive the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment, the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement or the Armed Forces Independence Payment (see Benefits and allowances) you may be able to buy or lease a car that has been specially adapted for your use through the Motability Scheme. 

Motability Operations (opens in a new tab)

If you do not qualify for this scheme you can make your own arrangements to have a car adapted by contacting a local car dealer who does motability work – search for ‘motability accredited’ firms in the Yellow Pages - Advice for disabled drivers

Disabled drivers can get advice about driving, an assessment of their capabilities, and advice about car adaptations and/or choice of car from the Forum of Mobility Centres (opens in a new tab) 

South Wales Mobility and Driving Assessment Service (opens in a new tab)

Offers driver and passenger assessments that aim to provide long-term mobility solutions.

ID: 1983, revised 15/09/2023