COVID-19: Any specific information relating to Pembrokeshire will be updated at or How to apply for a Covid-19 test,

Coronavirus Advice and Guidance

Self-Isolation Payments

If you have been contacted by NHS Wales Test, Trace, Protect Service (TTP) on or after the 23rd October 2020 and have been told to self-isolate, you may be entitled to Financial Support.

These payments are designed to help ensure people who have tested positive for COVID-19 and their close contacts self-isolate for the required period to stop the onward spread of the virus. They are also designed to encourage individuals who are eligible for this payment to get tested if they have symptoms. This is important to help stop the transmission of COVID-19 and avoid further economic and societal restrictions.

There are two types of payment, a Self-Isolation Support Payment and a Self-Isolation Discretionary Payment detailed below:- 

Self-Isolation Support Payment

For people who have been told to self-isolate and who satisfy the conditions laid down by Welsh Government.

If you meet all of the eligibility criteria listed below, you are entitled to an Isolation Payment of £500

  • You have been told by NHS Wales, Test, Trace, Protect service (TTP) on or after 23 October 2020 to stay at home and self-isolate by TTP, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive   AND
  • You are employed or self-employed AND
  • You cannot work from home and will lose income as a result AND
  • You or your partner are currently receiving at least one of the following benefits:
  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit 

Self-Isolation Discretionary Payment

For people in exceptional circumstances who:

  • Have been told to self-isolate by TTP AND
  • Meet the basic conditions for a payment to be awarded BUT
  • Do not receive one of the benefits that make them eligible for a payment

Welsh Government have provided examples of when a local authority should award a discretionary payment:

In exceptional circumstances, you may be eligible for a £500 Discretionary Payment if you meet all of the above eligibility criteria but:

  • You do not currently receive one of the benefits listed and
  • You will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while you are self-isolating.

Welsh Government have provided examples of when they consider a discretionary payment could be made:

  • People with No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF)
  • People in households with a total income below £350 per week
  • People with savings less than £6,000.

When should you apply for a payment?

Applications can be made up to 14 days after your period of self-isolation ends. The Council is not allowed to accept applications after this point.

If you are having problems filling in the application form, please contact us by e-mail or telephone and we will be able to help you with the form.


Telephone: 01437 764551

Care Workers

Care workers who are required to stay off work due to actual or suspected Covid-19 or who are required to self-isolate may be able to apply to the Welsh Government’s Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) Enhancement scheme, which was launched on 1 November 2020 and will run until 31 March 2021.

Please note: Care workers will not be able to apply to both schemes for the same period of isolation and will need to choose which payment to claim. Depending on your personal circumstances, you will need to decide which scheme will be more appropriate. Cross checks will be made by the Council to ensure duplicate payments for the same period of isolation are not made.

Can I apply on behalf of someone else if they are too ill to do it themselves?

Yes. However, the £500 must be paid into a bank account in the name of the person for whom the application is being made.

For example, if someone applied on behalf of a parent who is too ill to do it themselves, the payment would be made into the parent’s bank account. Evidence to confirm the details of the bank account will be required and the person making the application will need to provide some personal details. Both measures are in place to prevent fraud.

Applications from members of the same household

People in the same household MUST each make an individual application to receive the payment, if they meet the eligibility criteria.

How many times can a person apply for a £500 payment?

Some people could be asked to self-isolate by TTP more than once but there is a cap on the number of payments under this scheme:

  • One payment where a person is found to have coronavirus themselves AND up to a further
  • Two payments per person when they are identified as a close contact of someone with the virus.

In every case, no payment can be made unless you have been told to self-isolate by TTP. The Council will check that this has happened.

Close contacts can claim twice (if they are told to self-isolate more than once), as long as they meet the eligibility criteria for each individual claim and their periods of self-isolation do not overlap.

For example, if someone claims for a period of self-isolation lasting from 1 November to 14 November and then claims again for a second period of self-isolation beginning on 10 November, they would only be allowed to claim once, because the two periods overlap.

However, they would be allowed to claim for a second period of self-isolation if it began after the first period had ended on 14 November.

More detailed information about the scheme can be found on:

When will the payment be made?

We aim to make a decision about whether you can be given a payment within 3 days of receiving your completed application (which must include the supporting evidence that is needed) and then make a payment soon after that.

If you are overdrawn?

If you are overdrawn you can exercise your right of appropriation on the £500 payment, so that your bank doesn’t use it to pay your overdraft.

To apply for the grant: Please use the link below and ensure that you have your National Insurance Number as this number is required to start your application. You will also be required to upload a recent bank statement

In addition, if you are in receipt of one of qualifying benefits listed above, proof of that benefit, if you are employed we will require proof of employment e.g. recent wage slip and if you are self-employed a copy of your self-employed accounts which show recent trading or a SA302 self-assessment.

Apply Now »


Privacy Notice: Self Isolation Payments

Welsh Government: Privacy notice for self-isolation support scheme


ID: 7152, revised 19/11/2020