Volunteers offer time, energy and enthusiasm to help any project succeed. It’s essential that they are managed effectively to get the best from the group. When arranging activities it’s important to plan appropriate training, organise transportation and travel time and allocate tasks taking in to consideration the skills and abilities required.
Consider the following:
- Have a Volunteer policy
- Offer expenses for travel, food and drink.
- Ensure volunteers have a clear understanding of their role and responsibilities.
- Draft a volunteer’s task lists considering health and safety issues and individual’s capabilities to help ensure smooth running activities
- Provide training for volunteers carrying out challenging or technical tasks
- Allow volunteers the opportunity to discuss challenges and receive support.
Good Practice Working with Volunteers
WCVA - Volunteering
WCVA - Volunteering - Good Practice
WCVA - Advice and Guidance