COVID-19: Any specific information relating to Pembrokeshire will be updated at or How to apply for a Covid-19 test,



You are a carer if you provide or intend to provide care for an adult or a disabled child.  They could be a relative, friend or neighbour who is unable to manage at home without help because of sickness, age or disability.  You may feel that you are providing care as part of your relationship with them and not see yourself as a carer.

There are many different kinds of help available for carers including:

  • Information, advice and assistance
  • Carers Support Groups
  • Short breaks and respite
  • Training
  • Advocacy
  • Befriending
  • Concessionary access to Leisure Services
  • Emergency Card
  • Direct Payments

Pembrokeshire Carers Information & Support Service offer help and support for carers. This includes information, advice, emergency back-up scheme, training, activities and support groups.

Tel: 01437 611002 or email

Other sources of support:

Carers Wales  

Hywel Dda University Health Board 

Alzheimers Society 

Crossroads Care Mid and West Wales 



Diverse Cymru 

Dewis CIL 


Tel: 01437 764551
ID: 2235, revised 06/08/2019

Pembrokeshire Carers Strategy

The Pembrokeshire Carers Strategy (The Strategy) explains how the public, private and voluntary sectors together with carers will work together to improve the quality of life for carers in Pembrokeshire.

The Strategy is a joint strategy between Pembrokeshire County Council and Hywel Dda University Health Board and sets out a five year vision for supporting the health and wellbeing of carers and is firmly rooted in a strong foundation of partnership working in the county.

This Strategy sets out the strategic direction for support and advice to all carers in Pembs, including young carers and young adult carers.

The Strategy will address the five key priority areas described in the Carers Strategy for Wales 2013:

1. Health and Social Care

2. Identification, Information and Consultation

3 .Young Carers and Young Adult Carers

4 .Support and a life outside the Caring Role

5 .Carers and Employment

The Pembrokeshire Carers Strategy Board will oversee the delivery of the Strategy, ensuring that progress made against key aims is monitored and discussed.  Councillor Mike James, Pembrokeshire County Councils Carers' Champion chairs the Board whose members include representatives from Pembrokeshire County Council, Hywel Dda University Health Board, Pembrokeshire Association of Voluntary Services, as well as carer representation.


Any comments regarding the Pembrokeshire Carers Strategy can be addressed to :

Joy James

Carers Strategy Coordinator
Tel: 01437 764551 or email
ID: 2252, revised 24/01/2018

Young Adult Carers

What is a Young Adult Carer?

Often referred to as a "YAC" a young adult carer is someone aged between 16 - 25 who has a caring responsibility for someone.

Although the support needs of YACS may reflect those of both young carers and older adult carers, there are also significant differences.  YACS have specific needs as they transition to adulthood.

What services are there for Young Adult Carers?

  • 1:1 with an outreach worker
  • Information, Advice and Assistance
  • Advocacy
  • Befriending
  • Concessionary rate for Leisure Services
  • Emergency Card
  • Support Groups

Pembrokeshire Young Carers Project offers support, guidance and opportunities for  young adult carers to the age of 25. Anyone can self refer or a parent, teacher, social worker, GP or other practitioner can complete a referral form. For more information telephone 01437 761330

Pembrokeshire Carers Information & Support Services offers help and support to carers, aged 18+.  You can contact them on:

Tel: 01437 611002 or email

Other sources of support

ID: 2258, revised 06/08/2019

Carers of Children (Parent Carers)

Information for carers of disabled children - parents or someone else who has responsibility for looking after the child.

If you are in touch with Social Services and we are assessing your child's needs, we will also talk to you about your own needs as a carer. We will look at what help your child needs, over and above what any child would need, and take account of what you feel you are able to do, and what support you feel you need.. This is an opportunity for you to talk about how you feel, what effect caring has on your life and the kind of help that would make it easier for you to care. 

If you want to ask for an assessment of your child's needs or your needs as a carer please contact us on 01437 764551 or email

If you want information, advice or assistance for yourself Pembrokeshire Carers Information & Support Service offer help and support for carers. This includes information advice, an emergency card, training, activities and support groups.

Tel: 01437 611002 or email

Other sources of support

Carers Trust       

Carers UK  

Contact a Family is a national organisation for families with disabled children. It provides information and advice through publications and its website. 

Contact a Family Cymru
33-35 Cathedral Road
Cardiff CF11 9HB

Tel: 029 2039 6624

SNAP Cymru provides information and support to the families of children with special educational needs. 

Tel: 0845 120 3730

ID: 2259, revised 24/01/2018

Advice and support for carers, family and friends

This Guide not only offers information to people who wish to go on living independently in their own homes, it also addresses their carers, family and friends.

You may not recognise yourself officially as a ‘carer’ but if there is someone for whom you provide practical and emotional support on an ongoing basis in order to help them live independently, that’s exactly what you are.  This chapter gives you information about organisations and services which can provide both of you with the help you need.

ID: 2193, revised 26/07/2018

Support from Adult Care - Assessments

You can ask for an assessment of needs for yourself, a family member or friend or the person you are looking after.   This assessment should take all circumstances into account, including your contribution to the person’s care and the help you need to go on caring.

You may also find it useful to ask their advice on how to help the person you are caring for to become less dependent on you.  In many cases, with a little support and guidance, someone who has had a set back can re-learn skills.  Adult Care staff are expert in identifying what support is needed to help people regain their independence.

ID: 2194, revised 26/07/2018

Carer’s Assessment

All carers are entitled to an assessment of their needs if they want one.  This is called a ‘carer’s assessment’.  If you were already getting help from Adult Care before you became a carer, don’t forget to mention to your care manager that you are now looking after someone. 

If you have already asked Adult Care for help for the person you look after, you can either talk to the same care manager or you can ask to speak to someone different.  Everything you say will be confidential and will not be passed on to the person you are caring for, so you should feel free to explain exactly how you feel and what problems there are.

ID: 2195, revised 26/07/2018

Information for Carers

An information pack is available for carers giving details of carers support groups, services available for carers and organisations providing benefit information support and advice. Please contact Pembrokeshire Carers Information & Support Service on 01437 611002 or e-mail for a copy.

ID: 2196, revised 24/01/2018

Direct Payments

If Adult Care assesses that the person you are caring for is eligible for financial assistance to help with the cost of meeting their care needs, they may wish to use the direct payments scheme.  This would enable you to organise and purchase the help that you need for them directly instead of it being arranged through Adult Care.

If you are a carer who has had a carer’s assessment and who is eligible for support from your Adult Care department, you can request direct payments in respect of your own needs.  This will be independent of services provided to the person you care for.  If you are unsure whether you are eligible for support please contact Adult Care on 01437 764551.

ID: 2197, revised 24/01/2018

Services from the Health Service

Your doctor can give you general information about the illness or disability affecting the person you are looking after, and how it might develop.  Your doctor can only give you specific information about the person you care for if that person agrees that you should have it.  It is important that you talk this through before you approach the doctor.  He or she can also put you in touch with specialist organisations that can give you information and support.

It is often very stressful caring for someone else and it can make you susceptible to injury and illness.  The doctor can give you help and advice if your own health is suffering because you are looking after someone else.  You can get advice about lifting and relevant training from your surgery.  Independently, you can hire a night care service so that you can get some uninterrupted sleep.

ID: 2198, revised 24/01/2018

Investors in Carers

Investors in Carers is a scheme which aims to provide carers with the support they need from their GP surgery or Health Centre. If you tell your doctor that you are a carer, they can register you as a carer in their records.  This may help co-ordinate services for you and the person you care for and can help you access local support services. To register as a carer with your GP, see a member of staff at the surgery.

ID: 2199, revised 24/01/2018

Looking after your back

Backcare, the charity for healthier backs, provides information about the causes, treatment and management of back pain.  They publish a ‘carers guide to safer moving and handling of patients’.

Backcare 16 Elmtree Road, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 8ST.
Tel 0845 130 2704

ID: 2200, revised 26/07/2018

Hearing or sight impairment

If you have hearing or sight problems, you may already use special equipment to help you deal with everyday tasks.  There is also equipment that can help you in your role as a carer (for example, if you are deaf, you might find a vibrating pager useful to let you know when the person you look after needs help).  Adult Care can give advice about equipment that can help you as a carer.

ID: 2201, revised 24/01/2018

Getting a break

It is important that you have regular breaks from caring and have time to yourself.  You can ask Adult Care staff for advice and information about local respite services, and whether they can arrange help for you, or you can approach other organisations yourself.  Carers must have had a carers assessment to be eligible for assistance from Adult Care.

If you make your own arrangements, make sure that the people you talk to understand that you are looking for help that will allow you to have time to yourself, even if it is just for an hour or so.

Services that can help:

  • There are various day opportunities which provide activities and company for the person you look after giving them a valuable opportunity to get out and about.
  • Pembrokeshire County Council run an ‘Adult Placement’ scheme which offers day care and are mainly for people with learning disabilities but also offer help for others.
  • ‘Sitting services’ provide someone who comes to your home while you have time to yourself.
  • Many care homes offer informal day care, where someone can regularly spend a day with the residents.  Some also offer short stay, either as a one-off or on a regular basis.
  • You can get live-in help for a short period to allow you to take a break
  • If the person you look after needs special care that would make an ordinary holiday difficult, you can get information from specialist holiday organisations.

Crossroads Mid and West Wales
Crossroads Mid and West Wales offers practical support to carers, giving them a vital break away from their caring responsibilities. They can supply trained carer support workers, usually in the home, to relieve the carer for periods of time. Once they arrive, the carer is free to do as they wish - see friends, keep appointments, shop, study, work, or simply get some well-earned rest.

Almost all their services are offered free of charge and are adapted to suit each situation according to need and personal preference.

For further information:
Tel:  01437 764639 Email:


ID: 2202, revised 24/01/2018

Support for Carers

There may be times when you want to talk to someone who understands the pressures of being a carer or you may want practical advice and support to help you cope.  There are help lines for carers that can provide a listening ear, useful advice and practical help in an emergency.

There are numerous carers support groups in Pembrokeshire which are informal, occasionally organise social events and welcome new members.  They offer the opportunity for carers to chance to share their knowledge and experience with other people in similar situations.

If you would like further information on support groups available, a copy of the carers newsletter and information on carers events please contact the Pembrokeshire Carers Information & Support Service on 01437 611002 or email

ID: 2203, revised 24/01/2018

Are you a young carer?

If you do one or more of the following you may be a young carer:

  • Help a family member who is sick, has a disability, a mental illness or has
    problems with drugs or alcohol
  • Help look after your brothers or sisters
  • Cannot always do what your friends do because you help someone
  • Have to do extra chores to help out around the house because no one else can do
  • them
  • Find that helping at home is sometimes more important than homework or school
  • Are really tired all the time because of all the help you have to give
  • Worry about the person you help when you are not there

For more information on young carers, or if you think you are a young carer, please visit the Pembrokeshire County Council website or telephone 01437 764551. You will be able to find out details of the organisations that support young carers in Pembrokeshire.

ID: 2204, revised 24/01/2018

Looking after someone with dementia

It can be exhausting and lonely looking after someone who has a form of dementia such as Alzheimer’s.  There are services that can help both the people suffering from dementia and their carers.

See Hospital Care Admission for details on the Butterfly Scheme

ID: 2205, revised 07/02/2019