Services from the Health Service

Your doctor can give you general information about the illness or disability affecting the person you are looking after, and how it might develop. Your doctor can only give you specific information about the person you care for if that person agrees that you should have it. It is important that you talk this through before you approach the doctor. He or she can also put you in touch with specialist organisations that can give you information and support.

It is often very stressful caring for someone else and it can make you susceptible to injury and illness. The doctor can give you help and advice if your own health is suffering because you are looking after someone else. You can get advice about lifting and relevant training from your surgery. Independently, you can hire a night care service so that you can get some uninterrupted sleep.

ID: 2198, revised 11/08/2022