It is important to ensure that all staff, volunteers and contractors (where appropriate) are:
- aware of the content of the participant briefing so that they can answer any queriesfully briefed on all aspects of the event including crowd control and emergency arrangements
- fully briefed on all aspects of the event including crowd control and emergency arrangements
- given written instructions, site plans and checklists
- aware of potential hazards that can develop during an event
- aware of their marshalling areas.
It is important that stewards can:
- be easily identified by wearing high visibility jackets
- effectively communicate with each other, their supervisor, the person responsible for health and safety, and the overall event manager.