The primary objectives of this Council are:
- To prevent, control and eradicate animal diseases
- To protect the welfare of animals at agricultural holdings, in transit and at markets
- To safeguard human health and the food chain from transmissible diseases
- To license animal establishments including pet shops, zoos, animal boarders, dog breeders and horse riding establishments
Animal Health Officers enforce all aspects of the relevant legislation and their duties include:
- Attend slaughterhouses, markets/gatherings and livestock sales, to ensure correct documentation, fitness of livestock, correct penning and handling methods.
- Farm inspections to ensure compliance with records and welfare
- Investigate complaints regarding welfare
- Take formal action against offenders where other action has been unsuccessful.
We do not deal with the welfare of companion animals e.g.: Equines or dogs and cats in a domestic environment.
Animal Health and Welfare Team
Tel: 01437 764551
You can read our Privacy Notice here
This notice explains why we collect and keep your personal information, how your information is used and what we do with the information we collect.