Animal Establishment Licensing

Performing Animals

If you exhibit or train performing animals you must be registered with your local authority under the Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925. You must disclose details about the animals and the general nature of performances they are to take part in.

If you keep or train animals for public performance perhaps in a circus, television or film production, or in a theatre performance.

You don't need to register if you train or exhibit animals for use by the military or police, or for it they are trained for use in agriculture or sport.

A register is kept of all people who have registered under this Act and is available for public inspection by prior appointment.

The applicant must be able to demonstrate that: 

  • the performing animals are obtained from a reputable source to minimise the risk of disease;
  • the appropriate measures will be taken to protect the animals in case of fire or other emergency including the provision of suitable fire fighting equipment;
  • that the register contains the types of animal to be used in performances, both to be trained and exhibited;
  • that health and safety checks are carried out for both the animals and staff

If you have any welfare concerns for any performing animal or believe a person is using an animal without a performing animals registration please contact us directly

ID: 2432, revised 08/09/2022