Animal Establishment Licensing

Dangerous Wild Animals (DWA)

Anyone that keeps an animal defined as being dangerous under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (opens in new tab) needs to be licensed by the Council. The intention of the license is to protect the health and welfare of the animal and ensure its security and other people's safety.

Examples of dangerous wild animals are:

  • Certain types of monkeys
  • Poisonous snakes and other dangerous reptiles
  • Wild boar
  • Ostrichs and Emus

Hybrid or cross-bred animals may need a license, depending on how far removed the animal is from its wild ancestor

See the full list of animals you need a licence for (opens in a new tab).

Please contact the Animal Health & Welfare Team for more information on 01437 746551 or

ID: 2431, revised 10/10/2023