Please help us improve our website...

Student Support

How to Apply and When

Provision of information about the financial help available to you and how to apply for it is available via the Welsh Government website  You can apply online or download an application form from the website.

Downloaded applications should be completed and returned with enclosures to:

Pembrokeshire County Council,
Student Support Section,
Finance and Leisure Directorate,
North Wing, County Hall,
SA61 1TP

Note: from the 12/13 academic year paper application forms will not be available as the Welsh Government has decided that student and sponsor(s) i.e. parents / partner / spouse should be encouraged to apply online

The application should be completed by both the student and the sponsor(s).  Details required will include:

  • Name and address and date of birth
  • Course to be pursued (include full title; UCAS code; year and length of course)
  • College to be attended  - if you are a new student and you haven't yet decided exactly which college or course you will attend you can enter your 1st choice
  • Tuition fee to be charged - you will need to contact the college / university or visit its website to find out what tuition fees they intend to charge for the course; enter that full amount on the application

The sponsor(s) will need to enter detail including:

  • All income received (both earned and unearned) during the 2010/2011 financial year

A new student will need to provide the original birth certificate or original valid passport. Birth certificates must be accompanied by a Birth / Adoption Certificate Form completed by a 3rd party confirming their identity. You can bring in all your documents to the County Council - North Wing reception - who will copy them and give the originals back to you.

If you have any questions on how to complete the downloaded form or what documents to provide you can contact the Student Support Section at the Council on 01437 764551.

If you need help with the online form you can contact the Student Finance Wales Contact Centre on 0845 602 8845.

What Happens Next?

  • When the paper application / online submission is received by us it will be processed by the student support staff i.e. they will decide if you are eligible to receive the grants and loans and how much you are entitled to
  • If the paper application is incorrectly completed it will be returned to you / the sponsor(s) by the student support staff for correct completion.  If there are documents missing the student support staff will write to you / your sponsor(s) to tell you / them what is missing
  • If the online submission is incorrectly completed the system will forward email or letters or text to you / your sponsor(s) indicating the detail / information required
  • If you wish to apply for the full package of support (see below) the sponsor(s) must complete section 11 of the application - either online or by completing the paper application
  • If you tick that you wish to apply for the non means-tested support you will only receive a portion of the maintenance loan; this means that you will not be applying for any of the means tested grants
  • If you apply online make sure that you complete the online declaration which the system will forward to you after you submit your application and return it to the SLC - not to Pembrokeshire County Council
  • The SLC will send out an acknowledgement and passwords plus identification numbers for both you and your sponsor(s)
  • The SLC will then send you a letter which shows how much of a grant and loan you are entitled to and when they will be paid into your bank account. Take it to the College / University and ask them what procedure you need to follow to ensure that the SLC release the payments into your bank account.   If you have any queries with regard to when you will receive the payments or you need a copy of your letter then you should contact the SLC on 0845 602 8845
ID: 12716 Revised: 15/4/2015