Graphical Site|

Protecting Your Home

Protecting your home



Protecting your home from burglars

Contacting the police

Call 101 for non emergencies.


Always call 999 in an emergency

Home check

The Bobby Van service offers advice to older people about home security and can provide simple devices such as door chains and spy holes to help prevent burglary and replace locks after a burglary.  Tel: 01267 226468

Fire safety

The Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service will provide home fire safety advice and will supply and install a smoke alarm free of charge. Tel: 0800 169 1234 or Mid & West Wales Fire & Rescue Service (opens new window)

In case of emergency always call 999

Emergency contact numbers

Pembrokeshire County Council  01437 764551

Council out of hours emergencies  0845 6015522

Water Emergency line

Information on water services and emergencies

0800 052 0130 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

Gas Emergencies

Gas Emergency Contact Number 0800 111 999

Electricity Emergencies

South and West Wales - Western Power Distribution 0800 052 0400


0845 988 1188 (24 hour service) or Type talk 0845 602 6340

Help on the web  

Environment Agency Wales (opens new window)



UK Government Websites (opens new window)

You can contact the Emergency Planning unit on 01437 775586 or email emergency.planning.unit@pembrokeshire.gov.uk

A leaflet 'Ready to Respond' is also available from the Council's Emergency Planning Unit.


Utility suppliers

SWALEC electricity and gas customers Careline is a free priority service. To receive any of the services which Careline provides, you just need to join the Priority Service Register.

Tel: 0800 622 838
Textphone: 0800 622 839

British Gas

The Home Energy Care team at British Gas, provides essential services for vulnerable customers.

To sign up to Home Energy Care Tel 0800 072 8625 or Textphone 18001 0845 955 5202

Your Phone 

The British Telecom (BT) Free Priority Fault Repair Service scheme, aims to provide a fault-free service for vulnerable people, who are unable to leave the house because of an illness or disability and for who the telephone is a vital lifeline. if you have a chronic long-term illness or a severe disability you can apply. BT asks that your application is supported by a medical practitioner.

How to report a fault online - go to www.bt.com select 'At home' and click on 'Report and Track faults'. Tel 0808 800 151 (Text phone 18001 0800 800 151) free of charge, 24 hours a day.

British Telecom (BT) Advice Line Ask for the Disability Team and information about specially adapted phones. A free BT booklet about equipment and services is available. Call 195 to find out if you are eligible for free directory enquiries. Freephone 0800 800 150.


Maintenance and Repairs

Major Repairs

You need to make sure that your home is maintained properly, so that it is safe for you to live there. If it needs repairs, you can get advice and help.

If you own your own home, are elderly, aged 65 and over and/or disabled you can:  

NEVER agree to repairs to roofing or driverways offered at the door. Always go to a reputable trader.

Small Repairs

There are some local handyperson schemes which deal with small repairs and home maintenance. 

Age Concern Pembrokeshire Tel 01437 769972

Pembrokeshire Care & Repair

Meyler House,
St. Thomas Green,
SA61 1QP

Tel: (01437) 766717

Fax: (01437) 767327


Alterations to your home

If you are finding it hard to manage in yoru current house or flat, you may want to consider altering it to suit your needs. Phone Pembrokeshire County Council on 01437 764551, this is the first step to having your needs properly assessed.

Alterations can range from installing grab rails and ramps to building a walk-in shower, adapting the height of kitchen units and widening doorways so that a wheelchair can go through easily.

Pembrokeshire County Council can provide Disabled Facilities Grant to pay, or help pay, for alterations. Grants are means-tested and people also have to meet the medical criteria for a grant. You can get information and advice about these grants from the Council. Staff at Pembrokeshire Care & Repair can help you with your application. If you do not qualify for a grant, staff at Pembrokeshire Care & Repair can suggest other means of funding the work.


Keeping your garden maintained can become a concern.  For advice on making your garden easier to manage you can contact Thrive on 0118 988 5688 or look at the website www.carryongardening.org.uk for tips to achieve this.


ID: 20238   Revised: 24/4/2015

SUB LEVEL Navigation Menu


A to Z of Services|
Your Council|
Waste and Recycling|
Transport and Streets|
Children and Schools|
Planning and Environment|
Housing and Community|
Social Services and Health|
Libraries, Leisure and Living|
Dates and Times|
Make a Payment|
Economy and Careers|

Copyright 2016 Pembrokeshire County Council