Please help us improve our website...

Refuse Service

Refuse Service

With a statutory obligation to collect waste from households the Authority operates a fleet of refuse vehicles across the County that collect black bag waste and glass recycling from around 59,600 properties. These vehicles will collect from your home fortnightly.

Properties that currently don't receive food and glass collections such as flats, houses of multiple occupancy etc will continue with weekly collections until further notice.

Why is the authority changing to fortnightly collections for black bag refuse and glass?

In order to meet tough Welsh Government recycling targets and make financial savings. If the targets are not met, financial penalties will be incurred which could be passed on to Council Tax payers.

Need more information? Fortnightly Collections - FAQ

In order to collect from this number of households each vehicle has a designated route to follow with crews of between two and four operatives. The service is so reliable that many households know what time it is by judging from what time the refuse vehicle arrives. It’s a service to be proud of. From October, new routes may temporarily cause some disruption to the service. We appreciate your patience with this matter.

Where should I put my refuse for collection?

Your refuse should be placed on the kerbside outside your home in order for it to be collected; however, some residents are unable to do this because they are infirm.

If this applies to you, we are able to provide an assisted doorstep collection upon application. We are unable to provide this service to able bodied residents.

If you are elderly or infirm and cannot place rubbish at the kerbside for collection please download, complete and return the attached Request for Assisted Collection form or contact the Customer Contact Centre on 01437 764551 for a form.

You can obtain further supplies from the following places: (* indicates a charge)

Name Address Blue Bags* Orange Bags Clear Bags 5Ltr Food Bags 23Ltr Food Bags*
North Wing CSC County Hall, Freemans Way, Haverfordwest. SA61 1TP Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes 
Pembroke Library & Information Centre Commons Road, Pembroke, Pembrokeshire SA71 4AE No Yes No Yes No
Haverfordwest Library & Information Centre Former Youth Club, off Dew Street, Haverfordwest SA61 1ST No Yes No Yes No
Milford Haven Library & Information Centre Cedar Court, Haven's Head Business Park, Milford Haven SA73 3LS No Yes No Yes No
Saundersfoot Library & Information Centre Regency Hall, Saundersfoot, Pembrokeshire. SA69 9NG No Yes No Yes No
Tenby Library Greenhill Avenue, Tenby, Pembrokeshire, SA70 7LB No Yes No Yes No
Narberth Community Library James Street, Narberth, Pembrokeshire SA67 7BU No Yes No Yes No
Thornton Business Park Pembrokeshire County Council, Unit 23, Thornton Business Park SA73 2RR Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Argyle Street CSC Argyle Street, Pembroke Dock. SA72 6HL Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Neyland CSC St Clements Road, Neyland. SA73 1SH Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Fishguard CSC Town Hall, Fishguard. SA65 9HE Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Milford CSC Town Hall, Hamilton Terrace, Milford Haven. SA73 3JW Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Tenby Customer Service & Information Centre Unit 2,  Upper Park Road, Tenby. SA70 7LT No Yes No Yes Yes
Tenby Town Council De Valence Pavilion, Upper Frog Street, Tenby. SA70 7JD Yes Yes Yes Yes No
St Davids City Hall City Hall, High Street, St Davids. SA62 6SD No Yes No Yes Yes
Pembroke Town Hall Town Hall, Main Street, Pembroke. SA71 4JS No Yes No Yes No
Williams Vision 45, High Street, Narberth. SA67 7AS No Yes No Yes No
Ceredigion County Council Morgan Street, Cardigan. SA43 1DG No Yes No Yes No
Hermon Civic Amenity and Recycling centre Rhydiau, Hermon, Crymych. SA41 3QT No Yes No  Yes  Yes

*23 litre food bags cost £6.70 per roll

*Please click on the blue text for Library and Information Centre opening hours.

My refuse keeps getting attacked by animals, why don’t you provide us with wheelie bins?

Research has shown that the quantity of waste collected from households with wheelie bins is significantly higher than households that use sacks only.

This would be totally unacceptable at a time when the Council has a duty to reduce the amount of waste being sent to landfill, and when kerbside collection of recyclables is being introduced across the County.

With this in mind, if you need to put your refuse out the night before your collection, please cover it with an old blanket or carpet. This will deter any wild animals from attacking your sacks.

Please do not put your refuse out any earlier than you have to. Black bags left on the kerbside for too long are unsightly and a potential health hazard. We have the powers to inspect the bags of persistent offenders to establish ownership.

Can I put my fridge freezer or other bulky items out for refuse collection? Refuse Service

In short, no you cannot. If you have items that are too large to be included with your normal refuse collection, then you can arrange for these to be collected by requesting  Bulky Household Collections   

What about other electrical items like TV’s, irons and vacuum cleaners?

No. These can be brought to any of our Civic Amenity and Recycling Centres or taken with a bulky household collection for recycling. A new directive came into force in 2007 to tackle the amount of electrical items sent to landfill each year. See the section on Civic Amenity and recycling Centres .

I run a business, how is my waste collected? Refuse Service

Pembrokeshire County Council oversees approximately 1100 trade waste contracts. If a business decided to undertake a trade waste agreement with the Authority, they have the option of having their waste collected via the blue bag scheme or through the hire of large wheelie bins.

Because business rates do not include refuse collections a charge is made. If a business decides to use bulk bins, a charge will be made for hiring the bins and the collection and disposal of waste.

Businesses can also take some elements of their waste to any one of the six Civic Amenity and Recycling Centres in the County for recycling. The materials that can be accepted are listed on our Civic Amenity and Recycling Centres page under What can I take to the Centres. A small charge may apply for some materials.

ID: 15935 Revised: 15/2/2017