Please help us improve our website...

Licensing of Caravan and Tent Sites

The Health and Safety Team is responsible for the licensing and inspection of holiday caravan sites and tent (camping) sites throughout the County. There are currently 174 licensed holiday sites within Pembrokeshire.

Responsibility for the licensing and inspection of residential caravan sites rests with the houseing team since the introduction of the Hyperlink cannot be resolved(Mobile Homes (Wales) Act 2013)

Caravan Site Licensing

A caravan includes holiday caravans, residential caravans, touring caravans and dormobiles.

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the local authority. There are a number of exemptions to this licensing requirement, such as:

  • Incidental use within the boundary of a dwelling house 
  • Sites approved by certain organisations i.e. caravan club etc. 
  • Building and engineering sites 
  • Traveling Showman sites 
  • Sites occupied by the local authority

How do I apply for a holiday caravan site licence?

Before you apply for a license, you will require planning permission and you are advised to contact the planning department of Pembrokeshire County Council (01437 764551) or Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority (0845 345 7275), to discuss this matter further. A licence cannot be issued until such permission is obtained.

Once planning permission has been obtained, the land occupier must apply in writing for a site licence. There is currently no fee for a holiday site licence, although fees are now applicable for residential units.  A licence application form is available for this purpose.

Application for a caravan site licence

On receipt of a complete application, a new licence will be prepared together with the current conditions of licence and they will be forwarded to the 'licensee'. A site inspection may also take place at this time.

How do I apply for a 'tent' site licence?

Under the Public Health Act 1936, a site must not be used for the siting of tents for more than 42 consecutive days or more than 60 days in any 12 months, without the benefit of a licence.

If you wish to use your land as a tent site for longer that the days stipulated then you must apply for a site licence.

It is likely that planning permission will also be required from the relevant planning authority, Pembrokeshire County Council (01437 764551) or Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority (0845 345 7275).

Application for a licence to use land as a site for tents


The licence will state such conditions as Pembrokeshire County Council think necessary to protect the residents on site. These conditions are normally based on model standards and can be varied or removed at any time as circumstances change. The conditions relate to site layout, fire precautions, sanitary facilities, etc.

Conditions for holiday site for static caravans

Conditions for a tent site

Conditions for holiday site for touring caravans

Transferring the site licence

If the site is to be sold or transferred to another person or named body, you should complete the transfer of licence application form and send it to Licensing Authority.

On receipt of a complete application, a new licence will be prepared together with the current conditions of licence and they will be forwarded to the new 'Licensee'. A site inspection may also take place at this time.

Transfer of caravan / tent site licence

Keeping us informed

You should notify us immediately in the event of any changes which may affect the validity of the site licence in order that the licence may be changed accordingly. These changes may include new planning consents which alter unit types or numbers or other material alterations to the site layout i.e. new verandahs, re-siting of vans, etc.

Application for the alteration of conditions attached to caravan/tent site licence(s)


Licensees can expect to receive an inspection at periodic intervals from a health and safety officer in order to ensure that the conditions of the licence are being maintained and that other health and safety risks are being adequately controlled. Inspectors will normally walk the site to check separation distances, numbers of units, structures adjoining caravans, fire points, LPG storage areas and toilet blocks etc. The current electrical certificate, landlord gas safety certificates and any other maintenance records will also be inspected. Failure to comply with site licence conditions may lead to prosecution.

The frequency of inspections is determined by the application of a risk-rating scheme, which takes into account the number and types of unit on site, the level of compliance with site conditions and confidence in management. On occasions we will issue a self assessment questionnaire to determine the risk rating.

Fire Precautions

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (the RRO) applies to caravan sites. The RRO disapplies some fire related standards that are in current site licensing conditions. The local Fire & Rescue Authority are the main enforcers of the RRO, however, local authority inspectors are still required to check that site owners are complying with the obligations under it. In particular, site owners must carry out a fire risk assessment and make this available to the inspectors. The Communities and Local Government website: contains a range of helpful information on fire safety and the requirements of the RRO. This includes links to technical guides for specific types of accommodation, including one for sleeping accommodation.

The fire precautions laid down in your current licence conditions or provided in supplementary guidance when your licence was issued, provide a useful benchmark for the sort of preventative and protective measures that may be necessary following completion of a fire risk assessment, and you are encouraged to check your individual site licence to ensure that the fire precautions listed are complied with or equally effective measures are in place. General Fire Precautions

For further guidance on the implications of the RRO, please contact The Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service.

Annual Newsletter

The health and safety team routinely inspect all licensed caravan sites. Newsletters have been produced in previous years and issued to all site owners in the County, to highlight common problems identified.

Caravan Site News 2
Caravan Site News 3
Caravan Site News 4

For further information contact:

Health and Safety Team,
Public Protection Division,
Pembrokeshire County Council,
County Hall,
Pembrokeshire, SA61 1TP.

Tel: 01437 775179
E-mail: health&

ID: 19650 Revised: 23/1/2017