Please help us improve our website...

Registration of Food Premises

Who needs to register as a food business?

All premises used as a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) within Pembrokeshire are required by law to be registered. Registration permits us to identify all food premises in our area and assists us in organising our food premises inspection programme.

If you run a food business within Pembrokeshire you must register any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food. Food premises include restaurants, hotels, cafés, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell the local authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately.

If you have one or more mobile food vehicles, such as an ice cream van or hot dog van, which is normally kept in Pembrokeshire, it must be registered with us, even if you only trade outside of the County of Pembrokeshire

Anyone starting a new food business within Pembrokeshire must register with this Section at least 28 days before commencing trading.


What happens to the information given on the Food Registration Form?

We will enter the details on our Register. This will include the name, address and the particulars and nature of all registered businesses carried on in Pembrokeshire and will be open to inspection by the general public.
Requests for information on food business establishments which is not included in the Register will be handled in accordance with requirements of the freedom of information and data protection legislation.


What about changes in the ownership of food businesses?

Once you have registered you only need to notify us of a change of Food Business Operator, if the nature of the business changes, or if there is a change of address at which moveable premises are kept. The new Food Business Operator will have to complete an application form.


Are any businesses exempt from registration?

Under the current legislation very few food businesses are exempt from registration. Certain premises are exempt from registration as they need to be approved under specific European hygiene legislation. These are premises which handle products containing foods of animal origin, such as meat, dairy products and fish/fishery products, where the business supplies their products primarily on to other retailers, rather than to the final consumer.

There is also an exemption from registration for some very small producers of primary products selling to the final consumer or to local shops.


All other food businesses where there is a certain continuity of food business activity and a degree of organisation need to be registered. This will include businesses which are not carried out for profit

How do I register my food business?

By filling in the form below. Registration cannot be refused and there is no charge. The registration form must be completed, signed and sent to the Council's Food Team at the following address:

Food Safety and Standards Team
Pembrokeshire County Council
County Hall
SA61 1TP

You must tick all the boxes which apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all the information requested. Seasonal businesses operating for a certain period each year should give the dates between which they will be open on the form.

Application for Registration of a Food Business Establishment


ID: 19460 Revised: 7/6/2017