Please help us improve our website...

Making an application

Who can make a planning application?

Anyone can make a planning application, but an applicant must certify that they own the land, or that they have served notice on the owner and any agricultural tenants.

Pre-application Advice

The submission of a pre-application enquiry will help you to gain clear, impartial and professional advice at an early stage regarding any key issues that you need to address prior to submitting a formal development proposal

This advice can help to prevent schemes that are unlikely to gain approval from entering the process, and as a result can save both you and the Council time and money. (Click here for further information - Pre-application advice)

The Application Form

There is a standard form for you to give details of your proposals. The application must identify the land or buildings that are the subject of the application. A certificate relating to land ownership must accompany the application. Some large developments also have to be accompanied by an Environmental Statement (ES) and what it should contain is set out in legislation and guidance from the National Assembly.

We require four copies of the form and supporting information (all plans must be drawn to metric scale). Copies of Ordnance Survey maps can be made available to help you make a planning application, but there is a charge for this service. Application forms can be downloaded from the website, or can be sent to you on request.

Guidance notes on how to complete the forms will be sent to you, or can be found by clicking on the appropriate link below. Please ensure that the forms, plans and appropriate certificates are completed accurately and comprehensively as this will help to avoid any delay during the processing of an application.

We have also produced a checklist of the information we require to be submitted with an application:

Checklist of design information (download 29k)


We are required to collect a fee in connection with the submission of a planning application. The amount depends on the nature of the development and the type of application. The correct fee must be submitted or otherwise delays may occur. A fee calculator is available on the Planning Portal web page.

We are happy to assist with the type of application required and the fee involved. Please contact us on 01437 764551.

Design and Access Statements

On 1st June 2009 the following new planning legislation came in to force in Wales: Welsh Statutory Instrument 2009 No. 1024 (W.87); and Welsh Statutory Instrument 2009 No. 1026 (W.88).

This legislation replaces the requirement for access statements to be submitted alongside planning applications, and instead requires that Design and Access Statement (DAS) be prepared and submitted as supporting documents for most types of Planning Application (outline and full).

Detailed guidance on the content of DAS can be found within Technical Advice Notes (TAN's) 12 and 22, and within the Ministerial Interim Planning Policy Statement 01/2008 (Planning for good design). The Design Council for Wales has produced a document entitled Design and Access Statements in Wales Why, What and How which provides guidance on writing statements.

Design and access statement will not be required for applications for:
- Mining or engineering operations
- Household developments
- Material changes of use of land or buildings (certain exceptions however)
- Non-planning or Listed Building applications, ie applications for advertisements, tree preservation orders, storage or hazardous substances and reserved matters.

Heritage Impact Assessment

From the 1st September 2017 (Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Wales) (Amendment No.2) Regulations 2017) all applications for listed building consent and conservation area consent shall include a Heritage Impact Statement, Cadw has produced a guidance document to assist in the preparation of these statements. Link below 

Other Useful Links

Planning for Sustainable Buildings (download 375k)

Useful information on how to approach the topic of Design and Access has been published by The Commission for Architecture & Built Environment (CABE) - ‘How to write, read and use them' . Please note this guidance has been specifically written for Design & Access statements in England but is recognised as a ‘good practice' guide on how to approach design and access.

The design commission for Wales also has a model design guide for Wales with regard to residential development.

ID: 9816 Revised: 8/9/2017