Please help us improve our website...

Choosing a Residential or Nursing Care Home

We provide care services for adults who need support, care or protection, including for people leaving hospital. Residential or nursing care is one of these services.

If following an assessment it is decided that residential or nursing care home would be the right care for you, then providing the home is suitable, you can choose which home to go to.

Can I choose any care home?

Within reason you can choose any suitable home in the UK. Of course, the home has to be willing and able to look after you and we have to sort out how they will be paid.

Will I have to pay anything?

Everyone has to pay something towards the cost of their care home.

If you are in hospital…
It may be that you are in hospital when you need to move into a care home. If your treatment has finished it is important that you arrange to leave there as quickly as possible so that other people can have treatment.

If this applies to you we would ask you to choose a suitable home and make arrangements to move within two weeks. Of course we will help you to do this. If there are no vacancies in the home or homes you choose, you may have to move to another home to wait for a place in one of you preferred homes.

How do I know which homes I can choose from?
We will help and advise you. We cannot recommend specific homes but we can help you by finding out where there are suitable places available at the right cost.

All homes must be registered and inspected. Reports of inspections are public documents. We advise you to read one or more recent inspection reports before you decide. In Wales you can get copies from the Care and Social Services Inspectorate for Wales, see their website for more information.

The Local Authority Residential Care Home for the Elderly in Pembrokeshire is 

  1. Hillside, Troed y Rhiw, Goodwick, SA64 0JX. Tel: 01348 873888.
    The manager is Mrs Jaci Jones. Hillside has respite, rehabilitation, and long term placement beds.


Frequently Asked Questions Residential Care (download 49k)

Moving into a Care Home Fact Sheet (download 98k)

What to look for in a Care Home Fact Sheet (download 64k)

Paying for Residential Care Fact Sheet (download 63k)

Thinking about a Care Home (download 440k opens new window)

Care Home Information Sheet (download 116k opens new window)

For further information please contact:

Contact Centre
Pembrokeshire County Council
County Hall
SA61 1TP

Tel: 01437 764551

Fax: 01437 776699


ID: 14249 Revised: 6/10/2016