Please help us improve our website...

Visual Impairment Team

We have specialist workers who focus on providing support and services for people who are blind or partially sighted to maintain or improve their level of independence.

Customers need to be certified as blind or partially sighted or have vision that cannot be corrected by glasses in order to access this service.

Rehabilitation Officers are able to register people, who have been certified at the hospital. A registration card is then issued to the customer once they have received a visual impairment assessment (or prior to assessment if required).

  Information for People with Visual Impairment (download 236k)

The Visual Impairment Directory of services (download 101k)  provides further information on how social care services in Pembrokeshire can help.

The Visual Impairment service can assess for:-

  • Aids/equipment for long term use - e.g. chair raisers, Braille machines, talking watches, white canes, big button telephones
  • Rails - grab rails, hand rails, banister rails
  • Access - steps, ramps, key safes.
  • Electrics - internal and external lighting, repositioning sockets and switches
  • Adaptations - marking up white lines, marking up dials with tactile material
  • Access to literature - setting up membership of local talking newspapers services, Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) Talking Books service
  • Demonstration of equipment for short term use - e.g. Magna Screen, Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)
  • Under 18's provision - access to specialist rehabilitation officer
  • IT assessments - via RNIB Cymru
  • Referrals to other professionals - e.g. RNIB Advocacy and Welfare, RNIB South Wales Employment Advisor, Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
  • Referrals to other departments - e.g. care management, carer's assessment, child care
  • Grants - supporting applications to local and national charities
  • Advice - providing information e.g. eye conditions, benefits, charities
  • Mobility - providing training - e.g. sighted guide, symbol cane, long cane
  • Blue Badge - we can confirm entitlement
  • Communication needs - providing information in other formats e.g. large print, e-mail
  • Braille - access to Braille class
  • Kitchen safety - access to rehabilitation/equipment e.g. safer practice, liquid level indicator
  • Housing - housing reports and recommendations

Other information:-

  • For certification of blind or partially sightedness customers should contact the Consultant Ophthalmologist at the eye clinic in hospital (this is the only person who can certify someone's visual impairment)
  • Magnifiers and task lighting are available from specialist opticians - (download 15k opens new window)
  • Low Vision Aids are available from specialist opticians - (download 15k opens new window)
  • The return of low vision aids (e.g. magnifiers, lamps) issued via the low vision clinic or through the low vision service provided by trained high street opticians - need to be returned to the  provider or hospital

 Batteries and bulbs are not provided by the Visual Impairment Team

Useful links  - regarding the Low Vision Scheme  - Wales Council for the Blind  - Deafblind charity - Deafblind charity - talking newspapers UK

For further information please contact:

Contact Centre
Pembrokeshire County Council
County Hall
SA61 1TP

Tel: 01437 764551
Type Talk Tel: 18001 then full number including area code as above.

Fax: 01437 776699


Out of hours emergency telephone number: 08708 509508

ID: 14224 Revised: 3/9/2010