Please help us improve our website...

Getting a break

It is important that you have regular breaks from caring and have time to yourself. You can ask Adult Services staff for advice and information about local respite services, and whether they can arrange help for you, or you can approach other organisations yourself. Carers must have had a carers assessment to be eligible for assistance from Adult Services. 

If you make your own arrangements, make sure that the people you talk to understand that you are looking for help that will allow you to have time to yourself, even if it is just for an hour or so.

Services that can help:

There are various day opportunities which provide activities and company for the person you look after giving them a valuable opportunity to get out and about

Pembrokeshire County Council runs an ‘Adult Placement' scheme which offers day care. It is mainly for people with learning disabilities but also offers help for others

‘Sitting services' provide someone who comes to your home while you have time to yourself

Many care homes offer informal day care, where someone can regularly spend a day with the residents. Some also offer short stay, either as a one-off or on a regular basis

You can get live-in help for a short period to allow you to take a break

If the person you look after needs special care that would make an ordinary holiday difficult, you can get information from specialist holiday organisations


Crossroad Mid and West Wales offers practical support to carers, givine them a vital break away from their caring responsibilities.

They can supply trained carer support workers, usually in the home, to relieve the carer for periods of time. Once they arrive, the carer is free to do as they wish - see friends, keep appointments, shop, study, work, or simply get some well-earned rest.

Almost all services are offered free of charge and are adapted to suit each situation according to need and personal preference.

For further information Tel 01437 764639 email

Crossroads Mid and West Wales



Fair Access to Care Services

Community Care Assessments

Care Management and Monitoring - Review

Physical and Sensory Disabilities

ID: 20299 Revised: 31/5/2016