Please help us improve our website...

Other payments and schemes

Home Responsibilities Protection (HRP) is not a benefit, but a scheme which helps you protect your basic State Pension.

If you do not work, or your earnings are low and you're unable to pay enough National Insurance (NI) contributions towards your basic retirement pension because you have caring responsibilities, you should ask for details of Home Responsibilities Protection.

Contact the Pension Service call centre on 0845 60 60 265 or textphone 0845 60 60 285

Equity release

Equity release schemes offer older homeowners the chance to get cash for some of the value of their home.  Sometimes this is a lump sum or as regular payments.  Before you participate in an Equity release scheme you must seek independent financial and legal advice to ensure that this is the best way to make your money work for you. 

Financial support for students

Disabled Students Allowance (DSAs) help with costs incurred in attending recognised courses at university, as a direct result of disabilities.  DSAs are available to full time and part time students with disabilities although part time students must be studying 50% of a full-time course.  DSAs are available to both undergraduates and postgraduates.  See 


ID: 20287 Revised: 31/5/2016