Please help us improve our website...

Standards of care

Who sets the standards for organisations which provide care at home?

All organisations that provide personal or nursing care services to people in their own homes have to be registered and inspected to ensure they meet national care standards. 

The Care and Social Service Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) is responsible for the registration and inspection of Domiciliary Care Agencies (which offer personal care) and Nurse Agencies (which offer care from qualified nurses).  After they are registered agencies are inspected at least once a year to check that they are complying with National Minimum Standards as set by the government.  You can read inspection reports on the CSSIW website (opens new window)

Employers' associations

Some home care organisations belong to local or national associations.  For details about their standards / codes of practice contact:

United Kingdom Home Care Association (UKHCA)

Tel 020 8288 5291


ID: 20277 Revised: 31/5/2016